Starting from the middle

Liepaja Travel Blog

I have to honest, a terrible terrible idea came to my mind during this trip. I thought to myself: why travel far when we have all this just 300 kilometers away? Of course, everything depends on the weather, if we were one week later we wouldn't have got this fantastic feeling of absolute happiness while driving in the car through small towns of Latvia, stopping at the beaches, spending night in some summer house with 20 of Latvians.

Liepaja was great. We arrived there on Saturday evening, town was filled with people as Baltic Beach Party was held there that weekend. Streets were filled with happy a bit drunk people, who talked to each other, smiled at everyone. In the morning, when we came to the center for a regular cup of coffee, same people were still walking... It looked like we were the ones who got at least some sleep. I got a very positive feeling from the town even though can't say there are many things to see. Liepaja is a port town, with a very small central part, a small promenade along the river and some parks. The most interesting part about Liepaja (and that's why people come there) is forts. Several war forts, left from the Soviet times, are situated around Liepaja. We went to see one of them, the Northern Fort. It was really magnificent, huge cement constructions, blown up after Russians were leaving in nineties, all left there on the beach... We spent several hours there walking, flying the kite (as usual), swimming in the sea...