Crossing paths

Fort Worth Travel Blog

Tales of an unspoken fun,
A path so vague; its not bothered,
You're on one,
And I'm there on the other.

When My mother told me about it, I had no clue whatsoever of what it meant. She told me it was a term, just like love. There was no one definition to it. There was never a solitary understanding to it. I had but myself, my memories, and my thoughts to guide me. This was how it went.

Why was it termed a cross path? Why was the meeting of two people so sacred? Don't we meet people all the time? Could every face that we walked by, breaths that blew by, presence that were only felt for a second be people in our cross paths? These were the initial questions I asked myself. I later understood that for us to say we were in a cross path, the 'other' had to be one noticed. We had to have a form of communication either verbally or non-verbally. he/she had to be present in my life. He/She had to be a part of it.

When I asked a friend of mine about cross paths, she said to me "it can be special at times because sometimes, these people that cross your paths in life actually teach you things you were never aware of".

It got me thinking for a while. From the people I met what had they taught me that I might have taken for granted.

The easiest way to find an example would be to think of people who you don't communicate on a regular basis anymore as you would before. These would most likely be ex partners, old schoolmates, forgotten friends, previous acquaintances and so forth. Everyone is not spared from cross paths. Now, think of a person that you wish you were still in contact with and come with me.

Reminisce the past. Relive those moments.

"Do you remember how we met?"

It's funny because often times, the people dearest to us come into our lives in the funniest and strangest ways. Don't you think so? It could be as weird as dropping something, knocking into one another, an airport bar,a fight, a misunderstanding…you name it, we've lived it.

Life will always be good then. However, occasionally you'll wonder if the bond will die. You know you don't want it to and you tell yourself it won't happen. But often times, people move on. "Yeah, it was nice to know you and I had a great time". We always notice when the other is drifting apart and without fail, we always feel left out. We feel that we're left behind while they have 'moved on'. It always happens.

Actually, we do it too. We move on too. It's a part of life, it's a cycle. It has to happen. Sometimes when I meet these faces of the past, I wonder if this is a sign that the cross has been fulfilled or maybe we're still in the spot, the center of the cross. Sometimes I really do wish things hadn't change. But then again, maybe it's just me.

If I have to say what cross paths has taught me, generally I think it has taught me to always be strong willed. We live in a complex society whereby we see foreign faces more than familiar ones. Learn to let things go if they must and to have commitment if it is to stay.

The golden rule – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cross paths are a sad realization that we cannot have everything or everyone we want. For a cross to happen, two lines must come from separate sides, and meet. Regardless of how far back they came from, they will eventually…have to part. We can only have so much.

X marks the spot and it is the heart where the softest spot is.

At times, I just wished we had stop at where we met, turned around, and formed a triangle. That way we would always meet and end up together and not have to part.

At times…at times.

globalodyssey says:
this is wonderful
this is why i travel
great writing
Posted on: May 15, 2009
c_stephens2005 says:
thats really a meaningful study of the cross of live's, ive not had it for awhile, there must be someone coming.....chris
Posted on: Aug 06, 2008