Salvador Dali

Figueras Travel Blog

That morning we arrived to Barsa from Madrid, we had ferry for Palma at 10pm, so the whole day was free for us. And so, as old Latin would said “nula dies sine linea” we decided to go to Figueras to visit The Dali Theatre Museum. Figueras is just about 140 km from Barcelona so we bought tickets for the Renfe (train) line from Barsa to Figueras for just 12 Euro and after hour and half we get there.

Figueras is the capital of the province of Girona in Catalonia and also the birthplace of Salvador Dali. The Dali Theatre Museum is the building of the former Municipal Theatre from 19th century and was destroyed at the end of Spanish civil war, and on its ruins Dali decided to create this museum. Dali said there are 3 reasons why he choose Figueras and this building for museum: “First, because I am an eminently theatrical painter; second,because the Theatre is in the front of the church where I was baprized and third, because I was precisely in the lobby of the Theatre that I had my first exhibition of paintings.”

And really this place is unique, walking through 22 rooms inside, you can see and feel the Dali’s spirit and feel his emotion and his imagination and playing with life through his art. Everything has his special mark, made on his way, sometimes crazy, twisted and weired, sometimes so shocking – for me all seems as his everlasting “big play called life”.

Figueras Sights & Attractions review
The Dali Theatre Museum
How to get there : ROAD : AP 7 motorway (Barcelona/La Jonquera) Figueres exit.Main road Nacional II Barcelona/France TRAIN : the RENFE line from Bar… read entire review
photo by: leticiatra