At Peace with Travel Mishaps

Madrid Travel Blog

I left Salamanca this morning for the last time and although it is not my favorite place in Spain I felt a pang with leaving.  I had spent 10 weeks there, had finally started to get some confidence with Spanish,  managed to make good company with my host family. Luz was a joyful passionate lady and appreciated my company and even her 12 year granddaughter (Azahara) had started to talk with me, I got to know the city and when I returned from a weekend away I felt comfortable with the city, I have good friends I made in the school, I will miss some of the teachers who were so good in helping me to learn Spanish Javier, Sonia, Gloria in particular and I think in the end too Gibran.  I had a wonderful life there ups and downs; so it was sad to leave but time.

Also my good friend Dirk who was with me in my class in Granada emails me each week in Spanish of course.  I enjoyed his company.

The journey to Malaga via Madrid was very eventful but I have learnt to be more calm in travelling now and that day had lots of things that went wrong and could go wrong but I was calm throughout and knew it could all be handled.  The train from Salamanca started about 20 minutes late and never made up the time.  I was to arrive in Charmartin station at 10.08 and had to catch my AVE to Malaga from Atocha at 11.30.  It is about 30 minutes in metro between the stations so I thought that would be OK and have enough time for Brunch too.  Well got into Charmartin at 10.30.  3 minutes to buy ticket and get on Line 1 to Atocha.  But at Tribunal station about half way the metro for Line 1 was closed to Atocha.  Had to go up to street level to get a connecting bus through the slow Madrid traffic, then get dropped off in sight of the station negotiate 5 ped crossings and then make it through thelarge station check luggage in, then stand in cue to get on train I sat down at 11.29 and the train left at 11.32.  Wow that was close but it was fine to me.

The trip to Malaga brought back my wonderful memeories of the south.  Malaga is large crowded, tough, humid but near the see interesting and now I am confident I can mumble my through Spanish here.

photo by: vulindlela