The Festival in Salamanca Continues

Salamanca Travel Blog

At this point during my stay - Salamanca reminds of Wellington in New Zealand - the traffic, the foot paths, the dust, the wind the temperature.  It is summer here and only 14º, the dust is in my eyes and the wind is up.  The locals say that a month ago (May 14 according to their rhyme) it was meant to be hot (mid-20´s) but it is cold.  Oh well I am making sure that I enjoy myself.

This week I am most looking forward to to Thursday (a holiday here) where we will have a big fireworks display at 11 to mark the end of the fiesta of San Juan de Sahagún.  There has been an international festival of the arts for two weeks in conjunction with the fiesta with groups playing in many locations.  The main Square has a concert every night for free starting about 22.30 when it is finally dark.  People of all ages are there and it has a great feel whatever the bands playing.

Saturday night despite being cold was great.  An argentine group provided a backing of rock/opera style music while some artists were suspended above the crowd about 100-200 feet spinning arround and up and down.  Great spectacle.

Salamanca