Another Day At the Language School

Granada Travel Blog

A bit of New Zealand - well at least a name!

I had a nice surprise today.  My wife was brought up in a little village in New Zealand called Sanson.  It is about 15 minutes from where we live now.  So what do I see as I take a different route to the school this morning but a small street or alleyway called "Sanson".  So I had to take a photo of it for my wife to see when I got back to New Zealand.

Today it is back to school after the enforced lay at home with my healing foot.  There are now five youngsters from France staying and two have to get up at 6.30am to go on their school trip - they do this nice and loudly as only 12 year olds can do.  My foot is still throbbing at times.

I struggle to get the water to run in the shower as the boys have changed it.  I keep remembering Josefa saying everyone can only have 4 minutes in the shower as in Granada we do not have much water.  She has even stuck a big sign up on the bathroom door to remind all her visitors of this rule.  Everyday I count in my head the number of seconds to make sure I do not use more than my share of the water.  It is spring here so it is not cold but I wonder how cold it must get during the winter in Granada as there is a fitted oil column heater INSIDE the shower unit.

I tell Andres about the shower unit and together we fix it, having found how a leak had developed.  We manage to muddle along and work together well.  Josefa works hard every morning to make sure everyone has breakfast and that the boys have there packed lunch.  She loves having those boys around.

I walk slowly to school in a bit of pain but as I was bored staying at home it will be better learning at the school with my leg stuck up on a chair.  It is still cloudy, but mild and will probably reach 22C today.  But hot and sunny Spain has disappeared for the moment.

Finally with my teacher raquel I start to understand the pronouns (only just) and with my other teacher Montse we do some simple exercises on the past tense.  For the conversation class with raquel, again, we have to agree or disagree with a statement and explain why.  Like abortion, religious education, love of your life, money cannot buy happiness.  It is interesting listening to the others explain their thoughts in Spanish and I surprise myself with my ability, at least today, to explain my point of view.

azsalsa says:
Sounds like you've come quite a way with your language ability.
Posted on: Sep 24, 2008
A bit of New Zealand - well at lea…
A bit of New Zealand - well at le…
photo by: Chokk