I Leave New Zealand

Auckland Travel Blog

The story of the journey from New Zealand to Spain via South Korea.

I left New Zealand with great hopes and expectations but a heavy heart as I was leaving my wife behind in New Zealand for just on 4 months.  I was very worried how she would be without me... I sat at the coffee bar in the airport looking out over the runway listening to travellers speak and wondered how I would feel when I returned here in August 15 weeks later.

A quietly spoken Korean girl sits by me on the plane.  She is studying at University in New Zealand and is returning home to visit family... so she speaks good English.  One of the best joys of travelling is meeting people and learning about their stories of life and why they are moving around the world.

The flight takes us off the northern tip of New Zealand and I did not expect to see anything other than the Pacific Ocean until we reached Seoul in South Korea... But I was fortunate to pass over three awesome sights from the air.

Firstly, an island somewhere in the Solomon's group.  The effect of deforestation was very obvious.  Inland lakes and river ways and the lagoon were very brown with silt.  The hills obviously had little vegetation, yet I could see little villages.  I thought that life must be vary hard there.

Secondly, to brighten things up there was a fantastic island with a series of light blue lagoons and golden beaches.  I am not sure where it was but the joy of passing over it lifted my heart after seeing the other island.

Thirdly, I think I flew over Guam.  I was amazed at how urbanised it was and the little specs of cars seemed to be racing all over the place.

photo by: Fulla