A Long, Long Day Begins

London Travel Blog

This long-anticipated day really began the evening before, when at nine o'clock I made the forty-mile round trip to Gatwick airport to check-in. Somehow, through what appears in retrospect to be complete brain-failure, I had managed to book myself on a 6.15 morning flight, but without properly considering just how I was supposed to get to the airport so early, or the possible delays; so checking-in the evening before seemed like an insurance policy against any mishaps later on.

I really envy people who can sleep well in the face of such momentous events. As it happens, after returning from Gatwick and going to bed at about eleven I couldn't sleep a wink for excitement, and so got up at 1.30 to potter around before leaving home at three o'clock to catch the night-bus to East Croydon station, where with luck a train to Gatwick might appear after thirty minutes or so. In fact the night-bus was early, and bucketed along so fast that it was even earlier at East Croydon, which meant that I caught an earlier train than intended and arrived at Gatwick with a ridiculous amount of time in hand. Still, when I saw the queue for check-in, I was rather glad that I didn't have to join it!

photo by: ulysses