Making Preparations

Norman Travel Blog

Months before the trip to Alaska's capital I had exhausted (seemed like anyway) every possible Google reference that had anything remotely associated with Juneau in hopes that I would not fall flat on my face with idiotic questions that tend to distinguish a tourist (and you thought it was just the camera) from a native. Because for me the only thing that I knew for sure about Juneau was the old familiar play on words in Geography class when the teacher asked "JU KNOW THE CAPITAL OF ALASKA". It's amazing how easily you remember these little corny (but effective) sayings some 40 years later.

Being a "so-called" photographer I became incensed on taking the "perfect picture" so much so that I loaded up my camera case with no less than five camera's hoping to get that elusive picture of an eagle swooping down to grabbing a salmon out of the white capped waters, or even a bear having his lunch tearing into a salmon (either way the salmon would be on the loosing end of the shot).

After  days on end either searching Google, or buying equipment online (memory cards, batteries, lenses, Tri-pods, ect...) along with books on how to get that elusive perfect shot, and questions such as "what combination of f-stop and aperture goes with each other", or to flash or not to flash (that is the question) I carefully loaded everything into their respective cases with literally enough photo equipment to rival an Ansell Adams, or one of the famed photographers that clicks away for National Geographic (only if I knew how to use what I had).

To take even more precautionary measures I carried all my equipment on board with me (stowing it away under my seat) so that I could easily get to it if I wanted to take pictures from the planes window (isle seats and exit rows come in handy). I eventually took some pictures of the snow covered Colorado Rockies and Mt Rainier (in Seattle) and even some shots of the Space Needle. Between taking pictures through the window, and reviewing them on the 2.5 inch LCD screen, the trip seemed less boring (even though it was still LONG).

After reaching our first layover in Seattle (six hours) I repacked my bag and survived the crowd that packed the main isle of the plane (talk about going nowhere fast) finally getting off the plane and hurrying toward the train that would take us the rest of the way to the main terminal where we were meeting relation for a tour of downtown Seattle (since I had never been).

photo by: Paulina_B