Ciao!

Florence Travel Blog

Florence, seen from Piazzale Michelangelo

I love Italy and I loved this trip. I made an highlight list for this one!

• The Duomo and Baptiserum of Florence! You just have to see it. The Duomo's dome is famous for being the first one with a dome out of one piece what is very special of course. And the colours are just unbeleiveble, especially when the sun is shining, which is most of the time :) Then the Baptiserum, you really have to take a close look on the doors with their golden reliefs. I was stunned!
  • The San Miniato al Monte in Florence, that's the famous church of on top of a hill. The church is very different and has two levels. When we were there, there took a holy mass in Latin place. I love that. It's really authentic.
    Florence, seen from Piazzale Michelangelo
    The fresco's are also very nice just like the cimetary. It's a typicly italian one with small houses where they burried people in. But the best of the visit to the church was the view of the city! I can't describe it! See the pictures for it. We went there at sunset and it was so beautiful to see all those terracotta roofs being even more red then normally. You have the best view from the Piazzale Michelangelo. Lot's of people, tourists and italians, were sitting there enjoying the view with a bottle of wine and some olives. Take a look at the pictures or go see it by yourself! You won't regret it!
  • The Uffizi! Since i love art, visiting this museum was a must for me. We waited over 3,5 hours to get in here but hey, then you're in one of the most famous museums in the world! It was raining that day anyway, so there weren't many other things we could do.
    Arena di Verona
    Maybe that's why it was so crowded? If you want to visit this incredible museum as well, make sure you have a reservation. With a reservation you only have to wait 15 minutes!
  • The Medici Chapel in Florence. This chapel isn't like any other. When we walked in there we stood there like we were frozen. Unbeleiveble that there were families with that much power and money to get something like this built. Even though i thought it wasn't that beautiful, i was stunned by the size of it. I felt really small standing there.
  • The opera in Verona. If you visit Italy, then go there. What is more Italian then going to an opera of Verdi in the famous arena in Verona? Absolutely nothing! Even if you don't like opera, you should buy some (cheap) tickets. All kinds of people go there. Some in tailed suits, others in their t-shirts.
    Venice
    Especially the Italians look really nice when they go to the opera. Seeing that is already great. After the opera we had drinks of the famous square with a view on the arena. If you really want to do this the Italian way, you should have dinner after the opera but even thought we wanted that, it was too late for us to have dinner on that time (00:30)!
  • San Marco in Venice. We really loved this church. It's really one of a kind with all the golden mosa├»cs.
  • Santa Maria Glorioso dei Frari. The paintings and the choir were amazing but it's so difficult to describe something like that and i don't take pictures in churches so you must go and see it by yourself :) I can't help it. :)
  • The more quiet streets and canals of Venice! We tried to get out of the crowd and we found some beautiful spots with no tourists. It can take a while but for me it was so nice to see how quiet Venice can be. It has so much mo charm without the tourists and cruiseships you see around the San Marco for example. I loved to see some empty little sqaures and streets with only one little bench with an old italian woman on it, or a church with only two nuns with their white robes.
  • The Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan. The church is beautiful but everybody goes there for the monestary with maybe the most famous fresco of the world: The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci. It's incredible to see the fresco and to realise that this monestary was one of the very few buildings in Milan that wasn't destroyed by bombs in World War II. It was also weird to see that the lower part of the fresco was removed to make doors.

As I mentionned before, i really loved this trip. I hope you enjoy the pics and if you have any comments or questions: let me know!

Florence, seen from Piazzale Miche…
Florence, seen from Piazzale Mich…
Florence, seen from Piazzale Miche…
Florence, seen from Piazzale Mich…
Florence