The land of Tsars and the revolution

Moscow Travel Blog

Moscow Airport

Moscow is an impressive city with it's amazing and rich history.

Upon entering the city after the customs experience at the Airport, it was all green lights.

The russians are lovely but the majority of them do not speak English so it can be difficult to communicate with them. Throughout my time there I had such an amusing experience as Russians thought I was Russian due to my christian name. The reality was that even though my name is Russian , the only russian i know is hello and thank you.

The hostel during my stay was okay, it provided a bed to sleep on and occasional hot water which was fine for the 3 days that I was there. The first day of arriving they had a mix up and had double booked my bed so i ended up having to intrude on a family who stayed at the hostel.

Changing of guards outside Lenin
That proved to be uncomfortable but it was for one night.

The Kremlin is a great place to start the tour of Moscow. The Kremlin is very interesting. Until 1955 this was not opened to tourists to visit.Not all areas are open but what is open is worth a look. The police who patrol the area are great fun. At times one of us would stray on to the road and almost immediately , a whistle would be heard from the police warning us to get back on to the path. The artillery from the time of the Tsar's is beautiful, even though they were used for war purposes they are ornated so beautifully that you forget the destruction they can cause.

One of my favourites was the Archangel church.

Inside Kremlin
That was breathtaking. The Mosiac within the church is extremely beautiful.

Outside of the Kremlin , St Basil's is very popular and beautiful. Within the Church the Mosiac's are stunning. What impressed and stayed with me most was the priests who were singing. The Acoustics are wonderful. This memory has stayed with me most of my visit to St Basil's.

Next to St Basil's is the Red square. The Rock is where people would be beheaded and the square would be a sea of red. Standing there and taking in what used to occur here was disturbing.

Unfortunately, I was unlucky and could not see Lenin (waxed and embalmed Lenin). Hopefully next visit i can see him. I had this thought that Lenin would not appreciate the fact he is now a tourist attraction.

I did glimpse the statue of Stalin though.

Artillery from time of Tsar's

Russia is quite an expensive city compared to others, a filling meal is not cheap Moscow is where most of the wealthy russian's live.  Only 5% of Russian's are wealthy which is quite disturbing.

A Russian delicacy I tried was Kvass. It is a drink made from bread. It tastes like wine a little. At first it may not taste as you expect but after a couple of sips it is actually nice.

The Moscow University is quite a sight. It is at the end of the line of the metro (you must check out the train mosiac's and paintings they are amazing unfortunately you are not allowed to take photo's of the train stations). The hike is worth it as once you come upon the University it is amazing. I thought i heard that it is one of the highest universities in the world.

Another must see sight was Victory Park. This is the sight during world war 2 where the Russians defeated Germany. The huge monument on this sight is where the last Russian soldier was found who had resisted the Nazi Germans.

The night life I did explore was mainly the pubs, for some reason there is always a Irish pub anywhere in the world.

My three days in Moscow was short but fantastic, i missed out on seeing the armoury and Lenin but I did see some amazing sites.

On my way to the trans siberian railway to Mongolia now!

Artillery from time of Tsars
Artillery from time of Tsar's
Beautiful mosiac within Kremlin
It is rumoured that the bell has n…
It is rumoured that the bell has …
Lenin
Lenin
Red Sequare-rock where people woul…
Red Sequare-rock where people wou…
St Basil's