Top Places for Street Snacks
World Travel Blog› entry 2 of 19 › view all entries
1. Bruges, Belgium- Belgian Fries (don't call them French) right on the Markt Square... Heaven.
2. San Juan, Puerto Rico- Awesome local food everywhere you go. Tostones, currullos, rice & beans, bacalaitos, etc. make me very happy! Must have with a rum cocktail.
3. Antwerp, Belgium- Worsterbroodjie. Kind of like a hot dog but sooooo much better. The sausage is delicious and wrapped in flaky dough.
4. Ljubljana, Slovenia- Burek. Phyllo Dough stuffed with sheeps cheese and either meat, spinach, apples, or sauerkraut (the latter is the best one). Simple, a little odd for an American palette, but REALLY tasty. Got the best one at the bus depot!
5. Manchester, England- Pastys! A convenient, tasty, filling, and cheap meal you can hold in your hand. I know Cornwall is famous for them, but the ones in northern England were quite yummy.
6. Copenhagen, Denmark- Hot Dog. Yes the modest frankfurter is a source of pride to the Danes. It is a bit more robust than the American variety, and you can get bacon as a topping.
Honorable Mention for a Stateside Treat- Downeast Maine for Lobster Rolls. You can get theme everywhere and boy are they fresh and tasty!