Top Favorite Places (for now)- North America

North America Travel Blog

So far I've only seen about half this country (27 states). But for now here are my favorite spots.

1)  Baltimore, Maryland- I LOVE this city, warts and all. It has history, culture, great food and drink, waterfront, and a real quirkyness that I have not found elsewhere. Get past the nice but sterile Inner Harbor and avoid the drug infested neighborhoods that became synonomous with the city after last year's riots, and there is a city I have always been fascinated with and able to relate to.

2)  Down East Maine- This has got to be one of the most stunning land/seascapes in the country. Acadia National Park is perfection, not even the tourist hordes take away from its beauty. Sailing on a windjammer is something that I will always relish. Lobster bakes on a small island are the best way to eat seafood.

3)  Yellowstone/Grand Tetons National Parks- Awe-inspiring! See for yourself.

4)  Quebec City, Quebec-  A little piece of Europe set amidst a quintessential North American landscape with sea and mountains makes this a fascinating destination. Its proximity to the East Coast of the U.S. does not take away from the Francophone feel of this nearby city.

5)  Berkshires, Massachusetts-  This is the land of Norman Rockwell's America. Quaint little small New England towns set in the mountains. Very laid-back and stunning in the Autumn. Nice cultural institutions available in Williamstown, Stockbridge, and North Adams, but also lots of outdoorsy stuff to do as well.

6)  Victoria, British Columbia- While I enjoyed myself in Vancouver, I was impressed with lovely Victoria. Whereas Vancouver felt modern and progressive, Victoria felt relaxed and yet quite British. I liked the Old World Empire vibe mixed with its outdoorsy feel. Easy place to enjoy the Canadian wild country or go kayaking.

7)  St. Bart's-  I loved this island. It felt more like an island in the Mediterranean than the Caribbean, and since I LOVE Europe that worked for me. Great food, beautiful beaches, but very expensive.

8)  New Orleans, Louisiana-  VERY unique American city. Everything you have heard. A variety of different heritages blended together. Great music, great food, great drinks. Bourbon Street smelled like urine and vomit and contained NO locals, so should be avoided. But everywhere else in the French Quarter was great. Garden District is a nice place to explore as well.

9) Charleston, South Carolina- Beautiful and alive antebellum city of the South. Amazing food and just picture perfect. Lots of history as well. Seems like a nice city to live in.

10)  Niagara Falls, New York- While the Canadian side of the Falls is like Disneyland and has the better full views, I actually preferred the American side. You can FEEL the power of the Falls as the rush of the water vibrates the ground. The line to the Maid of the Mist was much shorter on the American side. The Park also had a nice reasonably price restaurant with a nice view. But the real trump card of the American side was Cave of the Winds. There is no cave anymore but you walk along a wooden path and actually get to get splashed by the Falls. It's intoxicating and one of the highlights of my life.