Top Christmas Markets

World Travel Blog

Innsbruck
Europe is well known for its Christmas Markets. As most of my travels to the continent have not been during the Advent & Christmas Seasons I have not been to many, but I have been to quite a few in Central Europe. They are wonderful traditional places to buy handmade crafts, toys, clothing, tasty food, and gluhwein, lots of hot gluhwein... for warmth of course! Merry Christmas!

1. Nuremberg, Germany- As mentioned in another blog, Nuremberg generally made me sad. The destruction of WW2 so complete, its rebuilding effort makes the city feel not new, but not old. That notwithstanding, the city becomes one grand festive Christmas Market in December. I think there are 3 markets in the city center, but they all bleed into one another that it just feels like one magical Christmas Wonderland.

Rothenburg
Everyone is happy, a little drunk on sugar or gluhwein, and it is easy to overlook the tragic history and get filled with visions of sugar plums.

2. Strasbourg, France- This Germanic region of France wonderfully blends each country’s traditions. The market looks like the ones in Germany, but with decidedly more fashion and even tastier food. It was also the most illuminated of all the markets I have been to, reminding me that Paris, the City of Light, is the national capital here.

3. Rothenburg, Germany- This town is picture post card pretty. I really felt as if I was in a Christmas snowglobe.

4. Innsbruck, Austria- This city truly celebrates the Winter holiday. With the Alps as a backdrop this former Imperial city looks like the grand capital of Christmasland.

Nuremberg
It was the most crowded of the markets I have been to, which is a drawback, but the hot chocolate, which consisted of melting a chocolate bar in hazlenut favored hot milk was beyond worth the trouble!

5. Wurzburg, Germany- Gorgeous mini-Prague had a very festive market with very eclectic gifts. Lots of clowns and witches. More for Halloween than Christmas in my mind! This city has surprisingly not been discovered so it had a local feel to it.

Honorable Mention- America is starting to discover these wonderful Christmas Markets. I have been to ones in Baltimore, Maryland and New York City. The one in New York’s Bryant Park is the best one I have been to on this side of the ocean. An ice rink, and Manhattan’s energy really infuse one with a festive spirit in this market. Just manage the crowds.

Strasbourg