Top Ahhhh Moments

World Travel Blog

Piazza San Marco, Venice

When you go away there are times when you take a moment and realize where you are, how amazing it is, that you get goosebumps. These are my Top Goosebump moments.

1)  Venice, Italy- Although by far the most toursity place I've seen, I couldn't help but get goosebumps the first time I was there. Venice had always been a dream to see. One evening, as the Piazzo San Marco was in lights, live quartets were playing music, there was a light drizzle that kept crowds to a minimum. I just stood there in the rain, listening to the music, danced with myself in the square, and was in Heaven.

2)  Vis, Croatia- I was on the balcony of this villa on a hill where I was staying at (really cheap I might add). I was having an evening drink watching the twilight settle over the island town and harbor.

Vis Island, Croatia
Closest thing to paradise I have ever experienced.

3)  Vienna, Austria- I had always dreamed of visiting this city, especially after the movie "Before Sunrise". I must admit that upon arrival from the Sudbahnof I was a bit disappointed. However, during an after-dinner stroll I came across the Hofburg Palace Complex and all the regal grandeur I had anticipated... complete with a horse-drawn carriage going through the gates. I've been in love with this city ever since!

4)  Mount Washington, New Hampshire- The first time I hiked this notorious mountain my buddy and I trekked up the very challenging Tuckermine Ravine Trail. When we finally got to the top, after some very scary moments, I could not have been more exhilarated. The views were unrivaled and I felt like Superman.

Hofburg Palace, Vienna

5)  Niagara Falls, New York- Riding the famous Maid of the Mist into the Falls was amazing, but nothing compared to going to the Cave of the Winds under the Bridal Veil Falls. The sheer power of the Falls overwhelms you as you get smacked with water and wind. My poncho got shredded. I laughed so hard I didn't even recognize the cackling sound was coming from me. AWESOME!

6) Barcelona, Spain- My first evening EVER abroad, I just stepped out of my pension, listening to the non-English languages around me, with the gothic architecture, soaking in the atmosphere, having a cigarrette... I knew I wasn't "in Kansas" anymore and that the travel bug had bit me hard! This first experience will always be with me.

7) Bergen, Norway- The fjords of Norway are majestic, but photos do not do the place justice.

Mount Washington, New Hampshire
Taking a fjord cruise, feeling the chilly misty air, smelling the freshest air on Earth and approaching a remote green island with classical music playing on the boat was amazing.

8) Lisbon, Portugal- Standing in a rooftop bar (above a garage) in the atmospheric Bairro Alto of Lisbon watching the sunset over the city with a new friend was romanticism at its greatest.

9) Lake Bled, Slovenia- Realizing that this straight out of a fairy tale place is real and that I was finally there was like a wish come true.

10) Grimsey Island, Iceland- After dealing with a literally sickening three hour cruise, we finally reached this island that lies ABOVE the Arctic Circle. It was worth it. Not like I imagined the Arctic to be, with grasslands and lots of sheep, but the marker on the island is all the proof I needed. Thankfully the ride back was smooth, and that did look like the Arctic.

Mount Washington, New Hampshire
Cave of the Winds,  Niagara Falls,…
Cave of the Winds, Niagara Falls…
Barcelona Cathedral
Barcelona Cathedral
Norwegian fjord
Norwegian fjord
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lake Bled, Slovenia
Lake Bled, Slovenia
Grimsey Island, Arctic Circle, Ice…
Grimsey Island, Arctic Circle, Ic…