Top 5 Illuminated Cities

World Travel Blog

1.  New York City-  Although I am from New York, I am one of those rare New Yorkers who never bought into the "New York is Number 1 at everything" mantra. I've seen too much of the world to know that is simply not true. However, nothing beats the beautiful, iconic New York City Skyline at night. The many shapes and colors over such a vast area is quite a treat for even my jaded eyes.

2.  Seattle-  I was very surprised at how lovely the Seattle Skyline is at night. The reflection shimmering off of the water at twilight is magical.

3.  Budapest-  At night Budapest becomes a work of art. The buildings & bridges all along the Danube are dramatically lit up. It feels like stage lighting, and what beautiful actors! The Chain Bridge at night is quite something to behold.

4.  Prague-  This rare gem of a city even sparkles at night.

5.  Salzburg-  The fortress and old town light up the Salzach River as the music of Mozart fills the air. It feels like the setting of one of Mozart's operas.

Honorable mention-  Brasov, Romania. This nice Saxon city in Transylvania is lovely, but what makes it unique at night is the cheesy, illuminated Hollywood-style BRASOV sign that overlooks the city from an adjacent mountain. The sight always made me smile.