AsiaBhutanParo

The Tiger's Nest

Paro Travel Blog

The Tiger's nest (Takshang Monestary) from the van

The Tiger's nest is the formost tourist attraction in Bhutan.  It's a monestary perched on the sheer cliffside.  Legend says that Bhutan's most important guru performed amazing feats there...and the Bhutanese people built the monestary to honor him.  Most tours have you doing it on day one, which is ludricrous.  It's over 3,000 meters up, straight up.  It's not a long hike, only 3-4 hours round trip, but it's killer for those that aren't acclimated.  Thank the gods we did it on the last day.

I won't lie- I wasn't digging the idea of hiking up this monster cliffside.  I mean, it's beautiful to look at from the bottom of the mountain, how much better could it be up close?  Of course, me being only one person in our group of 4, I was outvoted.

the stairs on the mountain
  So up we all went...up and up and up.  Halfway you can stop at the cafeteria/viewpoint and I was happy to stay there.  By this point it had begun to rain and the further up we went the colder it got.  Lunch was served at the cafeteria (awesome food).

I was done; it was cold and slippery and I did not want to die from crawling around narrow stairways 3000 meters up a mountain.  After the halfway point it's not so much a hike as it is a stairmaster, narrow stairs perched on the side of the mountain.  People die every year from slipping...even writing this is making me nervous.  Those of you that know me know that I'm not the most graceful of people- I was afraid of the heights and of the stairs.

In the end, thanks to the patience of Ryan and my mom (and slow walking), I made it.  It was really scary.  And worth it.  Funniest thing is that there were lots of Thai tourists, Ryan and I would speak to them in Thai.  The suprise on their faces was so priceless!

The Tiger's Nest is as scary as it is beautiful...and just as worth the trouble.

rosemary_mcandrew says:
Loved your blog and your photos - fantastic!
Bhutan really is such a unique place.
Posted on: Aug 30, 2007
rosemary_mcandrew says:
Hi Vikram, if you are an Indian national, I am pretty sure that the US$200 visa fee per day does not apply to you. you may want to double check this. There are heaps of Indian tourists in Bhutan.
Posted on: Aug 30, 2007
Chokk says:
I had never gone up :0
Posted on: May 13, 2007
The Tigers nest (Takshang Monesta…
The Tiger's nest (Takshang Monest…
View from the parking lot