Getting instructions

Sloten Travel Blog

Getting onboard

Fortunately it was not a really late night last night given we need to be leaving really early in the morning - again. Somehow I managed to get up and go down for breakfast at 7 - well more or less at 7. Yesterday I had talk to Wendy about getting a lift to the sailing part of the day but Brett got room in his car so I can drive with him instead - giving a bit more time for the breakfast part of the day.

But when Wendy arrives we get a bit of confusion. Because of some hotel trouble Ket also need a ride to the boat and given neither he nor Matt have managed to have breakfast and other stuff it turns out that Brett needs to bring them plus Wilco and Narrie. Suddenly there is no space for me anymore :( Well Wendy is still around - I can get a lift with her instead. I am still at the breakfast table more or less ready to go when Wendy says she is leaving and walk out the door fast - I assume I still got time to run up and get my jacket and camera.

Ship dog
I get down 30 seconds later and Wendy is long gone to the other hotel - but Rowena shows up at the station - with a car full of catering stuff - but there is still a bit of room and it is only a short drive to the other hotel.

I get there and Wendy is there as well to pick up a few more passengers - and she got room to spare. Then of we go to the sailboat place. It is pretty straight forward - according to the GPS it is just 45k without any turns at all - then you need to be careful and take a right. We go the required 45k down the road and it is time for the turn. But it turns out that Wendy's GPS is from the Netherlands and not fully updated on the situation in Friesland - hence it tell us to turn in the middle of a tunnel without any roads in sight.

Preparing the sail
We drive further down the road and the GPS tells us to turn out to different country roads which do not appear to lead to anywhere. We are surely lost. And we are not helped by the fact the Frisian resistance movement have removed all road signs to Stavoren to confuse the Dutch occupational forces. If we can not find our way soon we will be late for the boat - and Wendy need to pick people up at the station and bring the catering stuff onboard the boat.

Despite the problems with finding the way we manage to get sort of back on track on get towards the harbour. We finally spot a signpost the resistance has missed and we are now certain we are going the right way.

On the boat we all go down below deck and get the very first speciality of the day.

Sial is going up
Suckerbroat or something like that. Taste ok and then up on deck to get instructions.

It appears that unlike the people in the Netherlands most people in Friesland do not speak English. Hence the instruction on the boat about how to get the sail up and that kind of things was all in Dutch. Of course this give us none Dutch speaker a good excuse if we do anything wrong with the boat - we simply did not know what to do.

Well no major accidence occurs as we get the sail up and prepare to sail out of the port. And the sun is up the sail is very enjoyable with wind blowing and sun from above. We sail on an artificial lake created by a huge dyke the Dutch have built many years ago. The dyke makes the water fairly calm and nobody gets sick during the sailing. We head out to a small place to have lunch break.

tj1777 says:
I know - two changes in a morning was just too much to handle ;) no worries.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
Wendyveer says:
haha, How could I forget you ... It wil not hapen again heyhey! It all went well... miscommunication hihi!
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008