Boats, fireworks and arrests

Sneek Travel Blog

Ships sailing by

The reason for the date of the meet-up in Friesland is it should correspond with the big event of the area Sneekweek. A week of sailing for people with boats - we do not have a boat hence the next few days we will rent boats instead for the meet up.

To night we go to Sneek - pronounced Snake hence you need to look out for dangerous snakes in the streets. We get there it takes a few attempts because some of the roads are blocked off because of the activities in the area. But we get there and double park on the last spot in town. Or vicinity of the town.

We go down and have a look at the parade of boats going by - small boats not so small boats - and boats which is not really seaworthy is going by.

Start of the fireworks
Finally the big Pram arrives with a few people on board - the fireworks boat. And we stand and watch the highlight of the night - the big fireworks of Sneekweek.

Afterwards we are in principal ready to go back to Leeuwarden - but we go for a bar instead and get some beers and wine. We take a sip of the beer - Brett's glass is empty - how did that happen? Well he gets a few more glasses of beer and we are ready to head back to Leeuwarden.

We drive back straight to Leeuwarden - well Brett is driving and straight may not be the correct description for the direction we are going. We are driving all over the road in different directions - luckily the road is quite broad and we make it to a hotel outside town where we set of Quim and then get back to town to let Wendy out at her place.

Then it is of the short route to our hotel - or actually a parking lot just a few blocks away from our hotel. Brett take the car up in a one-way dead-end street - and two cops comes along on bikes to investigate what is going on with this drunken foreigner. Brett can hardly talk he has stuffed his mouth full of mint gum to cover up the smell of beer in his breath. Brett get drag away by the cops to spend a night in Jail while Matt and I are told to head straight back to hotel and stay out of trouble and get some sleep.

Here is Brett's account of the incidence - like anybody is going to believe it:

" Dropped Wendy off at home then back to the Eden.  The parking at the hotel was full, so had the GPS lead me to the garage nearby.  Unfortunately, the big concrete barrier in front of the garage entrance wasn't in my GPS, so I couldnt make the demanded left turn', so I turned right.  Sure, I saw the do not enter sign...but had no choice.  As I was turning around to go back to the main road, some cops rode up next to me and asked me to pull over.  After quicky explaining that I was just trying to park and the GPS had steered me wrong, they gave me the proper directions and I made it back to park and we called it a night."

pearcetoyou says:
haha! I didn't hear about this.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2009
metroguy says:
Gee... to bad your not qualified enough to spend a night in jail and too bad for them, because you could give a good darn travel review about your stay in there jail,dude....
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008
metsbwd says:
Micky...I ran into the leader of the Frisian resistance at the jail that night. Too bad you were all too sober...otherwise you'd have learned the secret handshake...
Posted on: Aug 05, 2008