An afternoon in Saint Malo

Saint-Malo Travel Blog

My father, always ready to lend me a hand (thank you Dad!), picked us up at Nantes for noon, to go to Saint Malo, in the north of Bretagne, passing by Rennes to pick up a friend. We did not see anything of Rennes because the time was running out and we preferred going to Saint Malo.

Saint Malo is a nice port on the English Channel with a town centre surrounded by ramparts. The 2 km walk on the ramparts gives a nice view on the port, the bay, and the inner town centre.
From the ramparts and the beach, we can see a mount which is an island at high tide. Here is buried Chateaubriand, a very famous French writer. Inside the walls, all is still built in the ancient style.

It is really pretty. We wandered in the streets and went shopping: oysters, winkles... I just love sea food!

Be careful, maybe we missed it, but we did not find any place to change money (as the post office was closed)!

Then we had a quick dinner to go to my friend’s first concert ( and we enjoyed it a lot!

I love Saint Malo. I used to spend my summer holidays just near it when I was very young, in a small town named Cancale, reputed for its oysters. There are so many sea food restaurants there, in the town centre and on the port! There is a very nice walk to do there called “le Chemin des Douaniers” to go to “la Pointe du Grouin”, to admire the bay and, if the weather allow it, you can see far away “le Mont Saint Michel”!
“Le Mont Saint Michel”, in Normandy but at the limit with Brittany, is really a nice visit to do. It is amazing. I went there a couple of times, and I always enjoyed it. But that week end was too short, unfortunately!

We finally spent the night at my father’s house in Pontivy, in the middle of Brittany.

petit_gooroo says:
I note that and if I see what you mean, it will be captured ;)
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008
Sweetski says:
Wow, what a coincidence :) If you walk back from Ville Close, across the bridge, perhaps you could take a photo of the hotel on the right corner on the other side of the street. Back then it was white. It would be wonderful to see if it still is the same hotel :)
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008