Mont Saint Michel Travel Blog

In February 2006

I did not stop at the Mont Saint Michel on that trip, but it is a monument I visited before and it is so exceptionnal that I wanted to add a review from my memory of it as I drove past it while going up to Normandy, I even saw it from the motorway!

I have been therea couple of times now. The Mont is located officially in Normandy, because of its position on the east of the river Couesnon, which is said, in this "rivality", to be the limit as a border between Normandy and Brittany. However, a britton phrase says "le Couesnon en sa folie mit le Mont en Normandie" ("The Couesnon in its madness placed the Mount in Normandy")...
However, history places it as an Armorican fortress of Romano-Britton culture. ^^

It is quite impressive to see it coming from the sand or the sea with nothing around it... It depends of the tides, very dangerous because they change very quickly in this area, and the mount is surrounded by quick sand as well!

I have always been there during off-peak season and it was busy, I can't even imagine how it is during peak season as it is quite small. One day is, I think, the perfect duration to fully enjoy the visit.

petit_gooroo says:
I read once that Mont Saint Michel is the second biggest tourist attraction in France after Paris!
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008
Sweetski says:
Can you believe I have never been to Mont St-Michel before??? I really have to start planning a trip to Bretagne and Normandie :)
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008
the_bill says:
Hey...we we're just talking about this. ;)
Posted on: Aug 17, 2008