Going to Belle テ四e, the beautiful island

Belle Ile Travel Blog

Big, isn't it?

While planning my visit to Belle テ四e en Mer, I realised 1 day is not enough at all to see what the island has to offer. Actually, with the transfert from the continent, there are only 6h30 left, not a full day at all, but it was too expensive for me to stay there longer.

For budget reason, and also because I prefer walking and taking my time on the coast, I decided not to rent a car, even if it meant I could see only one part of the island. By foot, I think the duration of the stay to see the maximum of the island (17km long, 9km large, 85kmツイ with a path along the coast of 120km) is 3 or 4 days... Actually, Belle テ四e en Mer is the biggest island of Brittany, and the third one on the French Atlantic Coast (after the テ四e de Rテゥ and the テ四e d'Olテゥron). Its name means "beautiful island in the sea", and people there underline that the island deserves its name.

Here it's not France... ^^
.. ^^

I decided to concentrate my visit around Sauzon. It meant not to see the magnificient Port Coton with its "needles" and the citadel Vauban at Le Palais, some must-see of the island. Once again, I thought I would enjoy it more by foot: I could have seen all the "interesting places" shown on the map with a car or on a tour bus, but I am not into this kind of exploration these days when the sun is shining and the coast is just amazing.
No regrets, it gives me a good excuse to go back there for a week end... but I sadly have no idea when that will be possible.

I left Vannes at 8.15AM. The usual way to get to Belle テ四e is from Quiberon (arrival on the port of Le Palais in Belle テ四e) but during peak season, there are transfers from Lorient and Vannes, to Sauzon.
On one of the numerous islands
I chose to travel from Vannes as I could have reduction (22竄ャ instead of 30竄ャ) with "Companie du Golfe".
We went through the Golfe of Morbihan and its 365 islands (at least ^^). It is a nice tour, unfortunatly they couldn't give us any comments because their amp was down. Well, I have done this kind of tour in the past and now I know the area so I could guess what was around me. We passed Arradon, my usual stop in the Golfe, many other nice ports and islands (Ile aux Moines, Ile d'Arz...). I was at the top of the boat, my hair in the wind, looking everywhere around... but I wasn't brave enough to take a lot of pictures, my hands felt better in my pockets (at 8.30AM, the sun doesn't warm a lot).
We arrived around 9.15AM at Port Navalo to take other passengers with us. With Locmariaquer just in front of it, it is the entrance of the Golfe, one coast inside the Golfe, the other one on the ocean. There is a great view from there!
After leaving Port Navalo, there is no doubt we left the Golfe behind us as well: no more islands everywhere but the horizon... and waves shaking the boat!

1 hour later and after 2 hours on the boat, we arrived at Sauzon, a lovely port on the island, the most reputed I think.

Sunflower300 says:
Eloテッse,
Thank you so much for taking us by the hand and gently leading us through your beautiful country.
Posted on: Aug 28, 2008