Capitale of Champagne

Reims Travel Blog

Notre Dame de Reims

Reims is only 45 minutes by train from Paris. The station is near the town center, it is really practical! Although it was raining a lot when I arrived, I decided to walk because I was worried not to have time or a better weather later to see around. Place d’Erlon is the lively place where all restaurants and bars are. Not far away from it, there are a lot of shops, including the Gallerie Lafayette ;)
Just by wandering in the town centre, there were pretty old buildings in the streets…

The most famous monument there is the magnificent cathedral Notre Dame de Reims, the kind of French Westminster Abbey as it is the place where the French kings were crowned. The cathedral is listed in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, like the Palace of Tau just next to it.

The other reason why Reims is famous is that it is considered as the capital of Champagne.

Notre Dame de Reims
I loooove champagne, so I did not miss the opportunity to visit a cellar!

The visit of Pommery caves was really quick. For 10€, I visited for ½ hour the cave with a guide and had a tasting of the champagne (the more you pay, the better the champagne is ;). It was interesting to learn how the champagne is made, stocked and so on. The cave was made for touring, with lights effects. In some rooms, it is amazing to see sculptures framed on the wall (I am not really sure how to call them) telling us stories about champagne years and years ago!

I was lucky to see the Saint Rémi of Reims Basilica without planning it, as it was on my way to Pommery producing house.

I finally had time to walk around on the next day… and the weather was incredibly good!
Sweetski says:
I am sure "sculptures framed on the wall" are called 'relief'.

Did you know Champagne is my favourite drink? I like Veuve Clicquot Brut, best of all :D
Posted on: Aug 21, 2008