Camping Australian style

Taree Travel Blog

I'm not good at mornings but Tia is ready

We hastily brought forward our departure plans to head north for Christmas. My daughter is a ranger and a firefighter with National Parks and Wildlife Services and had been on a 9 day shift fighting fires with another shift imminent over Christmas.  Fires were burning all over the state and interstate and our long planned Christmas on NSW's north coast might have taken us to Lismore only to find that Angela had been seconded somewhere else.  We attended my local bushfire brigade's spectacular Christmas dinner on the Sunday leaving just before the dessert.  Went home and hitched up the camper trailer and collected the dog.  Having deserted her for 10 months (returning three months ago) to travel around the world, she was coming with us this time.

Our journey took us up through Sydney, Newcastle and northwards.  The roads up through Bulladeela have had a lot of work done on them but there is still a long way to go.  Many fatal accidents have occurred here so the push is on to make the long trip from Sydney to Brisbane a lot safer.  As school holidays have not yet begun the traffic is pretty light.   At around 8pm we were about to enter Taree and after a quick consultation of our camping and caravaning directory, picked out a camp that allowed dogs and checked in.

It was a fairly basic park with about a three star rating and it was hard not to compare it to our recent European camping experiences.  Cost us $AUS25 compared to the average of 20 Euros (approx $AUS34).  Hot showers- free.  Toilet paper -provided.  There was even a separate camp kitchen with amazing free cooking facilities and washing up area with everything provided.  It even had a TV to entertain the poor soul who might have to stand there cooking or washing the dishes! Traffic noises were apparent but not too bothersome.  As much space as we wanted to choose from to site our camper trailer, with an extra 6 acre paddock to walk the dog.  I had made a quiche before we left to use up all the food in the fridge and with the addition of a salad we were set.  Tia had her new travel rug to sleep on under the camper trailer and settled in to listen to the new noises.

maroogi says:
I am planning to head up north of Sydney soon and would like a good holiday park to stay in. What caravaning and camping directory do you use?

Posted on: Jan 09, 2007
Im not good at mornings but Tia i…
I'm not good at mornings but Tia …
photo by: clearviews