Hostile Takeover

Haifa Travel Blog

I know it has been quite a while since I have written... so I will try to catch everyone up on life on this side of the world.  The University is now packed with students since classes have now officially begun for the rest of the school... despite some delays and a threatened strike.  The problem was that the students and teachers both struck last year, and as a result the state was unsure if it would have the proper funding to  open the University this year.  An agreement was finally reached and the school is now fully open.  The international school (where I am enrolled) isn't affected by these decisions... but it's still weird to have such a full campus all of a sudden, after having the entire school to ourselves for the past 3 months.

My apartment is now filled since my other 4 roommates moved in last week.  I'm not 100% sure who I live with because they always have friends around...soooo I'm still in the process of sorting that out.  They all speak Hebrew and Arabic and a little bit of English... With all these new people who all felt it necesary to bring their own dishes, pots pans utensils, my kitchen is exploding with crap... it's awesome.  Also, I think one of them is a bit OCD.  The first night she moved in I came home to find her cleaning the kitchen with bleach... and when I say cleaning, I really mean sterilizing-- I am pretty certain I could now safely perform surgery on my kitchen table.... but if there's going to be something crazy about a roommate I suppose being overly clean isn't that bad...

Also this week I started my volunteer work.  I will be tutoring newly arrived immigrants from Ethiopia who are trying to learn English.  It is an after school program so the ages range from 12-17.  They are extremely lively and friendly and I think it will be a really interesting experience.  All of the kids first language is Hebrew and the older ones speak pretty good English.  We'll go once a week to help them with homework and just talk with them... maybe I'll bring along my Hebrew Homework.... I think that's a fair exchange haha.

Well.... I've got some more class to get to-- I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

kg1357 says:
Great update Mads! Nothing like waking up to the smell of bleach when you are sitting down to your morning cereal. We think you have a great and fair exchange idea with your volunteering. Keep up the good work and we'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures. Love you Mom and Dad.
Posted on: Nov 04, 2008