Cavetowns

Cappadocia Travel Blog

Climbing into the cave
I thought I'd put up a quick update before I headed onto another night bus and probably out of interweb reach for a few days.  After a decent nights sleep in our cave hostel yesterday we got up early to take a tour of south Cappadoccia.  We went for a hike in the morning through a valley that was surrounded by pigeon caves... which essentially are tons of birdsnests (equals my worst nightmare) that are used by local farmers to collect birdshit... haha apparantley its good fertilizer.

After that we went through an underground city, which was awesome.  Parts of it were constructed thousands of years ago so I was really impressed with how extensive it was.  The ancient Turks used it at months at a time during invasions and attacks from neighboring peoples.  The entire city is several stories high and goes about 40 meters under ground.  Most of the caves and passages were extremely narrow so we had to make our way on our knees at points.  We went to a few other caves and got to see a stone carver at work as well.

Well I'm about to hop on a bus to Olympus and then onto a boat for a few days so I probably won't have interweb there... I'll put up more when I'm back to civilization again.
lindsaypo says:
Mads, I'm having such serious traveling withdrawal right now- SOOO JEALOUS! I want to go to Turkey too! Continue having so much fun... can't wait to hear more! xoxo
Posted on: Sep 08, 2008
here4crackhead says:
ooh caves! that's so cool, i hope you got pictures.

i have a lot of updates about your bike and geri haha... i'll email you sometime soon
Posted on: Sep 08, 2008
Our amazing guide
Our amazing guide
Inside the underground city
Inside the underground city
Door used during times of attack t…
Door used during times of attack …
Evil eyes hanging from tree