Beachfest

Haifa Travel Blog

At the beach
After yet another ridiculous day of Ulpan (I have now finally mastered reading script... so I am making some progress) we went to Carmel Beach. It is about a 25 minute bus ride from the University but they have direct buses there so it was really easy to get to. The beach was absolutely amazing. I have never been in water as warm as the mediterranean... it was like swimming in a gigantic bath hahah.

The waves were ridiculous. I kept getting swept out and sucked under by the undertoe and it was sooo difficult to get out of the water. The lifeguards kept blowing their whistles at us and yelling in Hebrew-- which of course we couldn't really understand... so there was a lot of waving and shouting involved. Eventually we realized that there was a specific swimming area designated by flags that we were supposed to stay within because there have been a number of drownings at this beach.
Bar sponsored by camels-- the cigarettes.... but still ridiculous.
Although after watching shark week the other week on discovery channel I was more afraid of seeing an ominous fin in the water than getting swept out to sea... haha.

We grabbed some falafel (I think I have had falafel at least once a day since coming here.... wonder how long it will take to get sick of that... maybe it will replace my cereal obsession) and then took the bus back to campus. I talked to my flatmate a bit more tonight and through quite a bit of signing and pointing I think I figured out that she will be graduating in September and that we are the only people living in the flat at the moment... I think.... hahah but it would be a fun surprise to discover another roomie in the kitchen. So it looks like I will be getting new roommates for the semester which should be exciting. I'm trying to call it an early night today since I still am yet to really sleep here (yeah... there are some things even Israel can't change about me) and we are going on a 7 hour hike tomorrow through the Golan Heights... which I am super pumped for. I miss you all.
kg1357 says:
Can't wait to hear all about your hike through the Golan Heights. Give us a call when you return and tell us all about it! Glad you figured out where to swim at the beach so the lifeguards could relax a little. Sounds like an amazing beach. Lots of love Mom and Dad
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
At the beach
Bar sponsored by camels-- the ciga…
Bar sponsored by camels-- the cig…
Stores and food along the water.
Stores and food along the water.
Sun setting on Carmel