Over the sea to Törshaven

Hanstholm Travel Blog

Fuel stop .. just over Danish border
Next morning we decided to skip breakfast and just grab coffee and croissants from the filling station across the road.

Fully tanked up on caffeine, choco croissants and benzine we set off North on an empty autobahn.

This was a much better drive and the traffic became much lighter still as we headed towards the Danish border.

Crossing over we settled into the cruise and enjoyed the scenery :)

We made good time into Denmark across the rolling hills of the south. We stopped for a while getting a drink and a snack, trying to work out the exchange rates for  Danish Krona!

Not much to say about the drive north ..... nice roads .... decent drivers and not much traffic!

Shame we could not say the same for the road to hantsholm!!!

Hanstholm is located on the northern tip of Denmark on the most northerly point on a series of islands interconnected with bridges.
on the road .. Hanstholm

No major roads here ... lots of twisting 2 lane roads full of caravans and tractors!

we continued to follow the [26] into Hantsholm ... lovely north sea scenery here ... rugged and windy !

On arrival we had made good time and had quite some hours until the ferry was ready and after some messing around trying to find where to check in (do ferry company's never invest in decent signs!) we realised the check was not open till later to headed into hantsholm for some coffee, fill up on food and money and also a look round the lighthouse at the top of the village.

check in time came around and we waited in line at the head of the landrover queue :)  It was there we first meet with Yara and Ivan and their black 110 defender. We spent alot of time asking questions about the route and getting to know them both.
crossing the islands
.... little did we know they would become firm travel friends.

We meet a group from Poland too .... also well experienced travellers on their 3rd trip to iceland!

Still very windy .. I hope the ship is not too rocky!

We get on board and find our cabin .. its clean tidy and functional.

Ling had to board on her own by foot to reduce the number of  passengers on the car decks.

So she got a lot of pics of me heading onto the ship.

Settling into dinner the ferry started  to leave and as the sunset we headed out into the north sea and the real start of the journey!

Sadly it was pretty heavy seas as soon as we got outside the breakwater and Ling quickly found herself feeling unwell..... first time on a ship!

So she  headed to bed and I headed out on deck for some pictures, then need to warm up I met Ivan in the bar for a bedtime drink and listened to the group of granny's singing Faroes folk songs which was lovely .
crossing the islands
... finally tired I headed to bed.

Next morning the weather was still heavy ... Ling really was not well ..... I fed her some more  anti sickness pills and headed for breakfast.

Afterwards I settled in to the maps and route books I had bought with me and worked where we intended to go!

the day pasted bz quickly and in the evening I spotted some oil rigs as we passedf through the oil fields.

Soon I got a real nice surprise ... we passed through the middle of the Shetland Islands ... wowo! home!

The islands were wind swept and covered in rain ... so much for summer!

Soon as as passed through the islands we were turning north for the Faroes ... Ling ventured back to bed still unwell.... I met again with Yara and Ivan and sat in the bar talking landrovers, travelling and life in general ... enjoying their company with some like minded people.

Soon enough it was bedtime and I settled into another night with the ship rolling and lulling me to sleep ... after 16 years in the Navy im used to sleeping on a bed that moves and actually enjoyed my time on the ship ...

Fuel stop .. just over Danish bord…
Fuel stop .. just over Danish bor…
not far ...
not far ...
Hanstholm Lighthouse
Hanstholm Lighthouse
they will never notice me here
"they will never notice me here"
Hantsholm Harbour
lovely sunset
lovely sunset
north sea oil/gas platform
north sea oil/gas platform
windy ,,,, hold on tight!
windy ,,,, hold on tight!
Shetland
Shetland
Hanstholm Sights & Attractions review
Hanstholm - Gateway to Faroes & Iceland
Hanstholm is a former island Hanstholm (short form of the original name Hansted Holm) has many placenames, including Hansted, Nørby, Gårddal, Ræhr,… read entire review
photo by: dl4plm