Carmel, Monterey

Monterey Travel Blog

Carmel

After a good night sleep time to see the east coast line of California. Too soon to leave San Francisco after only one night, but we will come back for 3 days so we can see more of this impressive city. Soon we see the coast line, and, when it is only 9 degrees, also the first surfers! Most of us have never seen surfers before, so we watched them for 15 minutes. But the waves are not very high, they are beginners, and soon we went for Carmel. Carmel is a city more for the rich people. Different than San Francisco, the liberal city wich is popular by drifters and the America middle class. Carmel is also famous because Clint Eastwood was the Mayor for 2 years in the eighties. Not a bad place to live!!! Nice houses, beautifull coast line, so different than my home town Den Bosch!! A nice little town to have a stop.

Carmel

In the afternoon we visited Monterey. Monterey is the old capital of Califonia. I believe the current capital is Sacramento, it always is a little town which is capital so they told me. What is a must, and what we did off course, is the "17-mile drive". A drive trough Pebble Beach where the rich and famous, quote "very rich" when I saw the houses (often with a golf track and swimming pool). The coast line is stunning, not crazy if you want to life there! Many birds and we saw a few sea lions. And the house were Hitchcock made the movie "The Birds", and indeed, a perfect location for that film. Our 'very late lunch' was in a famous Monterey restaurant. I order the fish & chips and it was absolutely perfect, the know how to make it there!! Than it was time to move to our hotel, located in Santa Maria.

US Truck near Santa Maria