San Francisco

San Francisco Travel Blog

Fishermans Wharfe

Finally a trip to the USA. California was much closer to my country than I thought. It took 9,5 hours to fly from Amsterdam to San Francisco. I travelled with a group, much easier to visit all those things to see in this big country with a guide and bus. We had 5500 kilometres to go, not something I want to do by myself. Without any problems we arrived in San Francisco, for the first time in the USA a dream comes true!!!

The first thing you do in San Francisco, after checking in, is going to Fishermans Warfe. We took the bus 147 , because Fishermans Wharfe is straight up and walking was too far. Fishermans Wharfe is a melting area of tourists, locals, bars and restaurants.

Fishermans Wharfe
Here it happens dude!! Seals you can see in "Pier 39", it smells like fish everywhere (you must like it) and to downtown you have to famous Cable Car. I felt like home immediately! The Americans a suprisingly friendly, they know what survice is, something we can learn about in Holland. It was also much colder as expected, 7 degrees, and that just before summer, glad I took a jacket. An totally different as Las Vegas (we found out later, 45 degrees)! We also made a big mistake, the American portions a much much larger than the Dutch portions. In stead of order 1 pizza for 4 persons we 'stupidly' ordered one pizza for each person, very common in Holland. Impossible to eat one big pizza on you own. That was our first learning experience. Soon we felt the 7 hours difference, the famous jetlag, so at 8 o'clock (wich is 3 o'clock at night where we came from) it was time to get some sleep in the hotel. Unfortunately the Cable Car is so popular, a waiting period of 2 hours was much too long for us. So we took the bus back for only 1 and a half dollar. Tommorow get up early, for a ride near the Westcoast.