S.S.M., Michigan ... taking the girls for a little summer vacation ... they'll enjoy it!!

Sault Sainte Marie Travel Blog

I knew this would be a quick visit, but I made it a memorable visit for the girls.  Our oldest was going into the states for her second time since she was 2 yrs old and when we got onto the bridge, which connects S.S.M., Ontario to S.S.M., Michigan, so for her this was an experience ... the border crossing was different for her and many questions as to why we had to be stopped and asked where we were going ... she found that a bit scary ...

We quickly continued to Paradise, Michigan, our first stop, a place we came across by chance back in may 2008 when I wanted to get out and take photos of White Fish Bay (of Lake Superior) ... We all remember it being a nice body of water where the girls could walk for miles and still be only in ankle deep water .

.. so we had to stop here again and give the oldest her chance to do the same ... since May the water has risen but still the girls, Dan and I were able to walk out very far only turning back when we got tired of walking ... I never reached a drop off ...

Next we were onto White Fish Point (Lake Superior) ... beautiful dunes and many rocks in the soft sand you'll find every ... you'll want to walk in it as I did ... on this first day the sand was cool and on day 2 the sand was so hot I had to push sand aside to get to the cooler sand below ... Dan and I played freezbee while the girls collected rocks and went into the fridgid water ... only children seem to have the determination to jump into water where icycles would form on them LOL .

.. but it truly was cold ...

One of the funny experiences we had was when I asked the simple question in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan , where is the nearest Starbucks (I was dying for some REAL coffee).  Surprisingly she said: "Well unless you drive over the border crossing bridge into Canada to go to Tim Horton's for coffee, the best place for coffee here in S.S.M., Michigan is McDonald's coffee ... we don't have any coffee shops" ... we walked out laughing but at the same time thinking, boy there's money to be made ... well thankfully we remembered going to a internet cafe back in May so we headed there before driving back out to Paradise and White Fish Point for another day of fun and swimming for Dan and I and the girls ...

We finally left Paradise when it was 7pm about and by the time we gased up and got over the bridge then stopped for coffee at Tim Horton's in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario we finally started driving down Hwy 17 to Sudbury at 8:50pm ... we now had a 3 hr drive ahead of us ... Yeah we got in after 12:30pm but for the 2 days of fun in the sun it was well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koralifix says:
A pretty nice family trip :)
Posted on: Feb 13, 2009
row-zzzzz says:
Jeremy, that is a small world ... I've been in S.S.M many times and my cousins live there ... we love Michigan, water in clean but cold ... what a small world!!! Eric in TB lives there
Posted on: Dec 11, 2008
Africancrab says:
Awesome job, I never got to reading it earlier. I would like to go to Michigan sometime before year end - one of my weekend trips. I'm off to Chicago and then to Arcola this friday.
Posted on: Sep 03, 2008
Sault Sainte Marie Hotels & Accommodations review
Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
I'm excited to go ... this will be the first time having a place that sleeps 6 people ... perfect for our family of 5 ... the girls are excited and th… read entire review
Sault Sainte Marie