Dolphin Experience

Paradise Island Travel Blog

Our dolphin Kelly

One thing I have never done and always wanted to was swim with the dolphins.  Ever since I was little dolphins always captured my attention.   My cousin booked a dolphin experience through Dolphin Cay at the Atlantis.  I had to call and book ours separately and after a couple back and forth calls we were all able to book the same time so we made up our own group.

We were all pretty excited on dolphin day, especially my goddaughter.  After waiting for nearly an hour to be called for registration, we got our wetsuits and watched a short film before heading out.

Our group did the “Shallow Water Interaction”.  Since my goddaughter is only 7 we thought it would be best to stay out of the deep water this time.  Our dolphin trainer met us on the beach and gave us a briefing on what we would be doing before we met our dolphin.

Family photo

The dolphins at Atlantis are actually the Katrina dolphins.  They were swept into the Gulf of Mexico during Hurricane Katrina after the aquarium they lived in was destroyed.  After being rescued they were all brought to Dolphin Cay.  Our dolphin was 34 yr. old Kelly.

Coincidentally, Kelly is a family name.  It is my middle name and was my mother’s maiden name.  We were traveling with my mother’s side of the family and everyone had the same reaction when we met our dolphin.  “Kelly? Really?  Wow that’s kind of strange.”

Kelly was an older dolphin and pretty calm.  We were able to pet her and hug her.  We even got to kiss her.  All of our pictures are with Kelly.  We also met her daughter, Runner who was only a year old.  She was VERY animated and VERY rebellious and by the time it was our turn with her she wouldn’t listen to the trainer so we didn’t see many tricks.

I really enjoyed my dolphin experience.  I would do it again, maybe not at Dolphin Cay and I would definitely do a deep water experience so I could really swim with them.

Stevie_Wes says:
Yeah, I'd love to be in the water with dolphins too. I was swimming about with seals in their natural environ last week, and this was one of the most amazing experiences of m'life to date!
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008
Kissy Kissy
Kissy Kissy
Paradise Island Sights & Attractions review
Good experieince, but not exactly what is advertised
This was my first and only experience swimming with dolphins. So I honestly do not have much to compare it to. Our group (9 of us) did a Shallow W… read entire review
Paradise Island