Beach Babe

Paradise Island Travel Blog

I am fortunate enough to teach at the same elementary school my goddaughter attends.  This makes me privy to all sorts of information, she lost a tooth, she forgot her lunch, she scored 100% on her test…and she was so excited to visit the Bahamas that she wrote about it on her end of the year writing assessment.  The #1 thing she was excited about, getting her hair braided.

For anyone who has never gotten braids, let me tell you it will hurt.  Unless you are used to the pulling, be prepared for discomfort.  I had my entire head braided in Aruba; it was painful and cost a fortune but absolutely worth it.  It was the lowest maintenance hair-do I ever had.

At Atlantis the hair braiding is done right on the beach.  The women will either call you when you first walk on or approach you later.  My cousin had a general idea of how much she was willing to spend, and when she hesitated at the price of $130 (how much hair can a 7 yr. old have?) she quickly got the price lowered to $80.  I think she could have paid even less.

As we sat with my niece I couldn’t help but laugh.  The women stake claims on you as you come onto the beach.  They actually CALL your patronage.  Apparently another woman had laid claim to my niece’s head of hair, and was VERY annoyed that another woman had gotten the job.  It was quite comical if you ask me.

So Bri got her braids.  And she got a wonderful tan, which really made her  the “beach babe”.

Paradise Island