Surprising Nerja

Nerja Travel Blog

Repairing the nets
Nerja is on the Costa Del Sol, about 40 minutes from Malaga Airport so I wasn't expecting too much but it turned out to be a lovely little town.  Retaining some traditional Spanish charm, with winding narrow streets and people selling fruit ang veg from their front doors.  The Balcony of Europe (Balcon de Europa) was impressive and afforded a great view of the coast, and the surrounding hills, it even has it's own restaurant underneath which provide a panoramic view as you enjoy your grilled sardines or paella.

The people were friendly and beaches were varied, pleasant and relatively clean, my favourite was predictably the best known; Playa Burriana.
View across Playa La Torrecilla I think!
  Which itself had a few beachside restaurants and bars and an especially cool bar/coffee house, with a good selection of wines, tasty snacks and free wireless connection.  There are plenty of places to eat and with great variety, from beachside taverns serving light lunches and some great restaurants serving fresh seafood dishes.  I found a nice little place with tables along the 'promenade' where the sardines and tapas were delicious and very good value.  One cove with a beachside restaurant even has a traditional fisherman's dwelling built into the surrounding rock!

As the town isn't as developed as much of this area, it doesn't have a huge shopping precinct, but it has a decent selection, you are able to purchase most things you'll probably require.  There are a number of supermarkets selling a wide range of well what supermarkets sell!  A few tourist shops, fashionable and casual clothes shops, places to buy souvenirs, and an extremely interesting little shop on one of the side streets selling native american memorabilia.  There's even a bookshop specialising in English language books, guidebooks and maps.  There's also a number of places offering internet access and I found a particularly good and helpful one near the Plaza Fabrica de los Cangrejos, just down from the town centre.

The lack of major develpoment in the town also means that there is a scarcity of accommodation, and I imagine at peak season, maybe hard to come by, with a booking being needed well in advance!  I have included a seperate review of the Hotel Club Nerja seperately for those interested.

In common with a lot of towns in Spain there is a fair bit of English influence with a number of ex-pats residing there and quite a few English owned bars, but not so many that you simply feel like you're merely home from home.

I had five days of great weather, before the rain from the UK caught up with me, and boy did it catch up, three days with on and off storms, which was cool actually because I do love storms.  Though hadn't expected to have to use my mac in a pac or travel umbrellla when I first decided to travel to Spain, even this early in the year!

You can also travel a little further down the coast to Gibralter, where it's possible to catch a ferry to Morroco, something I looked into, but the timetables didn't work out right during the time I was over although it may have if I'd looked a day or two earlier.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Nerja, I had arrived with certain preconceptions of the place, and thankfully I was pleasantly surprised.  I had intended only to use it as a base for skiing, but I ended up spending much more time in the town and surrounding area than I had initially envisaged. and will definately return there again.  Especially as a base if I'm ever in need of some late season skiing again, a fantastic base, with a charm all of it's own.

I hope the pics give you a bit of a feel for the place, excuse the quality, they were taken on my mobile phone.  Bottom line; a great little place to visit, far from the typical image of the Costa Del Sol, but go quick before the developers move in!
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
You're welcome, I'm glad I could be of help, I'd recommend Nerja too, it's a perfect base for travelling around the Andalucia region.
Posted on: Aug 21, 2008
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Oh yeah, I particularly love the Baileys mixed with cookies and cream. The stores don't seem to sell the Baileys one anymore, ain't life a bitch! ;)
Posted on: Aug 04, 2008
alitoronto says:
I really liked the view from the Balcony! And of course the cave:)
Posted on: Aug 01, 2008
Repairing the nets
View across Playa La Torrecilla I …
View across Playa La Torrecilla I…
photo by: Real_PeaceWarrior