AsiaIndiaAgra

Agra and Fatepur Sikri

Agra Travel Blog

Jama Masjid at Fatepur Sikri

Upon arrival in Agra, I took a local bus straightaway for Fatepur Sikri, a Mughal empire ghost town near Agra.  I turned on my trusty digital camera, snapped a few pics of the Jama Masjid mosque and discovered that I was unable to turn off the camera.  I pulled the battery but only to discover that now I could not turn on the camera.  Crap!!  Why did my camera decide to go south on me on my first morning in one of the world's most photogenic countries that for me felt like the end of the earth??  The city was very impressive and I had to content myself photos I took from a disposable cheapo camera I bought from a hawker.  In fact, I had to do this for the remainder of the trip!  [for this blog, I included some digital photos taken by my parents two years later that are representative of what I saw, as well as my analog photos]

Back in Agra, I spent the afternoon being pedalled around Agra in a pedicab.

My 'driver' seemed most pleased to be employed today, but I would not have traded him his job in a thousand years.  I knew what to expect in India, but nevertheless was thoroughly shocked by the utter poverty and dirtiness of the city.  The people here seemed to be neither alive nor dead, milling about over piles of trash, offal, and sqalid overcrowded conditions.  Do they really not care?  I'll never forget rounding one corner and seeing a cow covered in bird droppings munching on a pile of grease soaked newspapers.  My pedicab driver took me across the rickety bridge to Itimad-ud-Daulah, the so-called Baby Taj, Akbar's mausoleum, and back to Agra Fort (my fav).

The next morning, I visited the Taj, the reason anyone comes to Agra at all.

Jama Masjid at Fatepur Sikri
  It was quite amazing, if not a bit predictable.  To go in, one has to leave their bags at the entrance.  When I got my bags back, I discovered that a 'guard' had gone through my bag and taken one of my two zinc lozenges (presumabley eaten as candy), which pissed me off because I happened to need them to stave off a cold and hopefully prevent the kind of throat infection that has hospitalized me twice before.   This just isn't the place you want to be sick in, and I was freezing in my thin T-shirts.  I took the one and hoped for the best.

Zagnut66 says: