first couple of days...

Cheongju Travel Blog

Homeplus A.K.A Tesco

That night I showered, unpacked, ate noodles, drank beer chatted and generally chilled, good times. With a lack of proper bacon and Fiona only recently converting back to meat I had Cornflakes and coffee for breakfast and later we set off for the Supermarket. Homeplus supermarkets over here are owned by Tesco and indeed some of the products come in Tesco packing. Compared to the UK it is so hot and humid that just walking back and to from the shops causes you to break sweat.

When Fiona set off for work I decided to leave the flat and go for a walk I looked in the shops walked along a polluted stream that apparently is very nice further into cheong ju. I observed puppys in a pet shop window that were sweltering in the heat with a certain sense of irony as I wanted to eat some while I was over here however that never came to pass.

Snack bar in supermarket

For Tea we went to a Korean restaurant where we were spoiled with lots of food for only 11,000 won each (about a fiver) this included a starter salad followed by chicken cheese we pointed to the menu with both our Korean being pretty poor and drowned the food with a big beer served with 2 glasses.

That night we went to the cinema and watched The Eye it was strange to see all the Korean people and of course you as a British person appear strange to them as well. The film was in English with Korean subtitles that I quickly adjusted to and it was a standard horror film. When the film finished the supermarket had closed and thus it was a quiet walk home.

In the morning we headed to the major sandwich chain is South Korea “Paris Baguette” and I bought a sausage bread type thing with a blueberry muffin for a pudding we took this back to the flat and eat it there. Later that day I decided to venture to the supermarket on my own there were plenty of sample foods to try and I believe you could probably get a free lunch if you eat them all! After a free sample aperitif I sat down at a food bar type place inside the supermarket and in my best Korean pointed to 2 spicy octopus tentacles and said 2 in English! It was quite a good snack but the Korean’s do seem to love eating spicy food I did manage to get a bit of practice in of my limited vocabulary consisting of annyoeng haseyo and Gamsahmnida (Hello and Thank you respectively).

After my snack I set out to buy everything I needed to make Spaghetti Bolognese as I had told Fiona I would cook for her one night so that her food was ready when she came back from work. It was surprising how easily and quickly I found my way back when I had been so daunted and felt so small when the taxi driver had dropped me off only a couple of nights before.
Cheongju