Day 2 379 miles Total: 886 miles

Des Moines Travel Blog

The Biggest truck stop. "This place has everything"
When I woke up this morning my dad was already gone. He had gone back to the campsite to hang up our sleeping bags we had left drenched on the picnic table. When he came back to the hotel it started to rain again so we rushed back to the camp ground and tossed all our sleeping bags in the car. We gave the task of drying the sleeping bags and pillows to my sister while my dad and I went to look for new tents.

At Dicks, they had slim pickings on tents and really, we weren't sure what to get anyways. We finally decided on two small Eureka! tents that should do the job well, and hopefully, if another squall came, the tent would survive and we would remain wet-free. We also had to buy a new lantern since the one we had fell over and shattered the glass around the mantle. With our two new tents, another cooler that we could tie to the trailer to store a few camping supplies and somewhat dry sleeping bags we were off to cover some ground.
Day 2 Camping; Much better!

We left Champaign, IL around 2:00pm and wanted to make the haul to Des Moines because originally, the first night we booked a KOA lost the 30 dollars because we were unable to make it the evening we planned. However, they did say we could use it for another night, thus the point of making it there and plus, we had had enough of Illinois for this trip.

The KOA in Des Moines office closed at 9, we just made it at 8:45. Like most KOA's, it was very nice. Swimming pool, laundry, and nice level grass areas to put up the tents. Unlike the night before, nothing irregular occurred. We cooked, we ate, we sleept and the most important thing, we were dry.

The Biggest truck stop. This plac…
The Biggest truck stop. "This pla…
Des Moines