finally here!

Nice Travel Blog

 › entry 9 of 10 › view all entries



We had a nice passage to Rome and arrived in the morning.  We couldn’t do much that day as it took a while to get cleared in, but the next day I went off exploring with Boomer, Chantale, and Jay.  We took a cab to the metro, then about an hour on the metro to get into actual Rome.  Our first stop was the Vatican, and we walked around the outside a bit and took some pictures.  We were going to go inside but the line was over an hour long and by then time we had lunch and came back it was closed.  So we walked to the Pantheon, which I remembered pretty well because I spent a couple weeks near there babysitting my nephew when he was a baby.  It was really crowded though, and the guys had to pee, so we only stayed for a few minutes and then it was onwards again to the Coliseum.  We walked around it for a bit, stopped at a café, and then headed back on the metro.  This was actually a lot of walking and it took up the entire day and I feel like I got a good look at Rome again.  I really like the city, how the old building and ruins are just splattered here and there among everything.  The next day it was our turn to watch the boat while others went out.  I walked around the marina area, which is actually a major weekend destination for Italians as it turns out.  There are tons of shops and restaurants and the families come out in droves to walk along, have some gelato, and sit on the beach.  The next day we set sail in the morning for Elba.  It was a quick overnight hop but it was kind of rough and stormy out so it wasn’t the most comfortable passage.  We arrive the next morning and I went ashore to do some provisioning.  I didn’t get much of a chance to walk around, but what I saw was really cute and it seemed like a really nice place.  There were TONS of boats around.  I mean TONS.  Well, ok, maybe like forty, but seeing forty sailboats out sailing in a pretty bay is a lot more than we’ve ever seen out sailing combined on our whole trip.  We couldn’t really figure out what they were doing, as it was a weekday, but it was still nice to see.  We set sail again the next morning for our last passage, and arrived in Nice, France this morning.  I can’t believe we’re actually here, this is what we’ve been waiting for for over a year and a half now… it’s a little surreal.  The bay we are anchored in is actually over the hill from Nice proper, but it looks small and cute and I’m looking forward to exploring in the next two weeks before I leave.  We passed Monaco on the way in and I’d really like to take the train over there to explore for a day.  Well, that’s pretty much it… I should be able to check my email here every couple of days so write me!  (will put up pictures later)

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Niki-Travelfan