Wema Village

Garsen Travel Blog

This morning we got up, had breakfast, then were on the road by 9 to go to the village of Wema.  It is only about 10 miles from where we are staying but the majority of the roads are dirt and extremely bumpy so it took a while to get there.  When we got there, I was a little overwhelmed.  There were so many people and everyone lived in mud huts.  Actually to be honest, I felt like I was in a National Geographic magazine!  It was really cool to see how the people there live.  We started the clinic a few minutes after we got there.  There are 3 doctors, 4 nurses, 3 lab technicians, and they rest of us were in the pharmacy.  The day was very busy and a little tiring.  But one good thing is that now I think I can read a doctors handwriting!!  Some of the people in our group took some time to play with the kids, and that was a lot of fun to watch.  Simple things like blowing bubbles, amused the kids so much.  I’ve never heard so much joyful yelling and laughter J  We finished the clinic around 4 pm, packed up and drove back to the YWCA.  After dinner, we repacked the medicines again (they got pretty disorganized) and then we went to bed.  Tomorrow is another clinic in a village a few miles past the one we were in today.  I went to bed tonight feeling really satisfied with the work done for the day.

tvillingmarit says:
I would love to bee there with you. Sounds as if you are making a difference.
Posted on: Aug 30, 2008