AsiaChinaXi'an

The warriors

Xi'an Travel Blog

This morning I got up early and took a bus to see the terracotta warriors. It was a very cheap bus, but that also meant that it took a long time to get there. We drove over a dirt road and the houses on the side of the road looked really poor. Most of them weren't even finished and people lived on and in between the rubble.

The terracotta army site is a pleasant park with some buildings in between. My guidebook told me to start with pit 2 and 3 and finish with the biggest: nr 1. That was a very good idea. Pit 2 was the pit that got destroyed just a copple of years after they finished it and so you mostly see pieces of men and horses. Pit 3 is very small, but very well preserved. In the front there are 4 horses ready to run. When I finally came to pit 1 I was wowed! This site is so big and most of it isn't even out from under the ground. You can walk around it and see the men from different sides. This was pretty difficult sometimes because there were a lot of people, as everywhere in China:-)

In the afternoon I took the bus back to the city and had a look at the drum and bell tower. Both are pretty big and very nice. I ended the day with a Starbucks coffee and observed the people around the square before going back to the hostel.

Xi'an