Luoyang, Longmen caves

Luoyang Travel Blog

Good food!

After spending the night on the train from Shanghai I arrived this morning in Luoyang. It's still warm and there was no breeze. Coming of the train someone came over to me with a Hostelling international brocure. I thought this was the one picking me up. Ha, ha, she was showing me a very different hotel and kept talking in Chinese to me. After I showed her my booking for the hostel she shoved me out of the hotel. Luckely my hostel was close by. It's a strange old hotel, but oke for just the night. After some freshening up I went to the Longmen caves. I took a taxi from the hotel and he is even waiting for me to bring me back. It takes about 30 min to get there and it just costs me 10 euro's. And then I probably still paid to much. The caves were in a beautiful area along a river. In the rocks there are thousands of buddhas carved in the rock. Some are more than 10 meters high. Most of them are in caves, some bigger then others. You cross a bridge and get an even better view of them. On that side there is also a big temple. I met 2 guys from Holland and we spent the rest of the walk together. After that we went to the White horse temple. The grounds were huge and it was very busy with monks being at work. Nice to see that the temple is still very much in use.

Now I was getting really tiered after this hot day and not to much sleep on the train. Tomorrow there is more travelling to do, so now I'm going out for some food and then up to bed.

About 30 min walk from the hostel was a shopping center with supermarket and a foodcourt. I finally eat some vedgetables and nice noodles in a place were they don't have an English or picture menu. I'm very proud of myself.

photo by: portia