Jing'an temple and Nanjing road

Shanghai Travel Blog

It was not easy getting out of bed this morning. But I wanted to see Shanghai: so of I go. It's really, really warm and the sun is burning on my skin. Now I understand why all the women are walking with umbrella's.  I take the subway in to the city and plan to do a walk from the Lonely Planet. Where would I be without it:-) It's a really nice walk and I get to see different living places of the Chinese. In this area they live in 'lilong'. These are small appartment buildings maybe 4 stories high and there are some side streets. The whole area is guarded by a gate and a guard. The houses don't look very comfortable but old and very small, but the cars in front of them are shiny and big.

Next stop is the Jung'an temple. It's a  buddhist temple. And a lot of people are burning incense. It's a nice and quiet place. Outside on the streets it's all very busy, so this gives me a good rest.

Just a little bit further down the road is a nice place for some lunch.(Element fresh) It's clear that this is where the modern Shanghai Chinese eats. It's almost cold inside, but I really like that right now.

Than I visit the former house of Mao Zedong. There are pictures of all the places he visited and the other houses he lived in during his visits to the city. There is a chair he used and a pair of pyjamapants. By now you could think that he spent years living here, but at the end of the exibit I read that he was only here a copple of months!!

I end my afternoon at the Starbucks on Renmin square. I decide to go the the Jinmao tower at Pudong. From the subway stop it's still a long walk, but I pass a nice park and get a good view of all the high buildings in Pudong new area. They are not very beautiful, but put together like this it's really nice. The Jinmao tower is one of the highest buildings, 420m. The observatory is on the 88th floor, 340m above the ground. The view is amazing. You can see the river, the Bund and the Pudong area. In the centre of the tower you can watch down on to the lobby of the Grand Hyatt that's located there. It's over 30 stories lower. Really nice!

All excited about this day I find my way back to the hostel.

Shanghai