Hanging monastery

Datong Travel Blog

Today my privat driver drove me all the way to the Haning monastery. 75 km south from Datong(1.5 hrs). What a poor country this appears to be. Very small houses and wagons pulled by donkeys. Fruit was sold by the road. We also drove over a mountain ridge. It was really beautiful. Finally no industrial sites and no people, just dried up streams, steep rock and 2 sheep:-)

From a distance the monastery seems to be glued to the rocks. How did they do that and more importend: why? I never found that out. After the security check, where no one paid any attention to the X-ray monitor, you cross a small wooden suspension bridge over a small streem. This streem comes from a big dam a bit further up this canyon. The monastery was a lot of fun! You walk on very small steps, corridors and boardwalks. It's all made of wood. In some small rooms I see statues and in one there is bed. I would love to spend a night here. The roofs are in yellow glazed tiles with dragons for decoration. I really like this place! But after a while I have to go back to the city:-(

In de afternoon I take the taxi to the central square and try to find a temple. The road I walk on is filled with shops and very busy. Once again I am the only non-Chinese around. I'm getting more and more used to it, but still don't like it. Just before I want to go back to the hotel, I spot a french bakery. The bread i buy is very close to normal. Hi, hi. In the evening I watch womens football. The Games have started!

Life in China is very cheap for me: bottle of water 2 Yuan(20 eurocent), 1 hour on the Internet: 2 Y. The sites are more expensive. 60 to 100 Yuan.

photo by: Deats