AsiaChinaBeijing

789 art district and gold medals

Beijing Travel Blog

Today was a very busy, happy, interesting day. First  i went to the Holland House to watch some swimming. Veldhuis didn't get  a medal. She just wasn't good enough this week.

Then I took a taxi to the 789 Art District. It looks like an old industrial site, with warehouses and factories. It's packed with galaries, small and big. A lot of different artforms can be found here. Photography, watercolour and oil paintings, sculptures and some experimental art. It is a pretty big area and I got lost a copple of times, but that doesn't really mather because there are fun things to see everywhere.  I really liked the photography on the 'birdsnest' . It were black and white pictures and in the front you saw all the construction sites and rubble and further back the stadium. This for me really showed China. They build really nice things but don't finish up the area.

After all this cultural stuff I went a shopping market. You can buy any brand of clothing, shoes, bags, ect. You have to haggle hard to get a good price, but that's part of the fun. I got myself 2 pairs of shoes for only 19 euro. very happy with that.

Time to run to the Holland house again to watch some sports. The waterpolo women did really well. They won over Italy, who are the Olympic champion. really exciting. We also won a gold and siver medal in rowing!!! Tonight there will be a big celebration in the HH, so I go back to the hostel for some food and rest and had back there at 21.00 to watch the Hockey men tie with Australia, read the Dutch newspaper and party till 1.30 and watch the rowing women on the stage. This was a very fun day!

Beijing