Adelaide Travel Blog

Hong Kong - Adelaide

After a nice and quiet departure from Hong Kong (I fell asleep even before the plane took off), I wake up in the airplane and look out of the window: I can see the continent of Australia. Well... See..? It’s quite foggy outside so I can’t really see much of the country I’ll be travelling through. The landscape I see through the clouds mostly reminds me of England. I saw the exact same thing from the air when I went to London with my class two years ago. To be honest, the landscape therefore seemed a bit dull and imagining what weather it would be on the ground didn’t exactly get me jumping. Not that people jump regularly in planes... Okay... Stupid joke...

But I was looking forward to finally see where my relatives in Australia live and of course to see my brother again.

Touchdown is smooth and we can soon proceed to customs where we have to wait for our bags and are thoroughly checked by a customs officer plus dog.

Taking a walk
On the wall hangs a large advertisement with the slogan: “Quarantine matters!” We had already filled in some forms on Australia’s import policy and apparently, bringing the slightest amount of foreign soil into the country will harm the eco system. My shoes are cleaned and carefully disposed of any dirt and my mother loses some flower bulbs to customs she had left in her bag by accident.

I’m not sure if it really matters if you bring fins into the country that have been used in salt water but I am sure Australian customs will find them! Alas... Getting your shoes cleaned isn’t too bad a condition to get into the country right? More important is the fact that we have arrived safely in Australia and the adventure can finally begin!

We catch a delayed bus and when we finally drive through Adelaide, it strikes me that there are so few tall buildings.

Coastal Beauty
The city centre is spread over a huge surface area and there doesn’t seem to be the need to build a structure on every street corner. Maybe it’s because I’m coming from Hong Kong and Amsterdam that it strikes me, but the way of city planning wasn’t the only thing that surprised me. For instance, the Woolworth, girls and accommodation shocked me too.

First of all, the supermarket:

I had not in a million years expected to find proper bread in Australia. Everywhere I travel, there simply is no bread available that is baked the way it is in Holland: Nice and sturdy, nutritious and above all tasty... In France and Italy bread is rough and unsatisfying. In America and South Africa it is sticky and tasteless. No offence to these countries, but your bread just isn’t that tasty. At least, not on the long term. But in Australia, the bread actually really is bread, made out of grain, water and yeast, and not with any chemical substances.

Second surprise: The girls.

Granite Island

Girls in Adelaide look extremely good and are probably among the finest looking in the world! They are not only physically attractive but also have a great sense of style and smile a lot. I came to the conclusion that this must ultimately be what gives the city its nice appearance.

And the third thing that surprised me was the accommodation:

Our family of six was accommodated in three apartments with each two beds, one sofa, one living room and a kitchen. While we were only staying in Adelaide for one night! We could´ve just stayed in two hotel rooms without the kitchen and living room!

To get back to the story: Once we arrived at our “hotel” I went to buy some food with my dad and after a short breakfast fell asleep due to a minor jetlag.

When I awoke, it was already 4 p.m. At around 5 it was time to meet my aunt and niece from Australia with whom we would go to dinner that night!

The diner with my aunt and niece was great! My aunt Marijke told us why she had left Holland and had moved to Australia and what kind of work she did. She even turns out to be Australian and New Zealand champion of the board game checkers! My niece Alicia turned out to be a lawyer working as mediator between aboriginal communities and oil companies. What a smart family I got!

After dinner, my family and I went to the airport to pick up my brother from his Australasian travels and said goodbye to our family who we would see again the next day.

Excitement!!! I will finally see my brother again after I haven’t in 8 months! I have really missed him as an older brother at times but we’ve kept in touch pretty much by mailing at least every week and calling every once in a while.

Note how small the people on top are!
My sisters thought it would be strange to see him again, but for me it was just like he was returning from a very long week of partying. I have loads of things to ask him though. Particularly what girls he has met on the way! (Those stories never quite made it to the home front! Hehehe)

Against my expectations the reunion doesn’t turn out to be very emotional: When the moment is there, everybody is just capable of not bursting out in tears. That evening I have the honour to share my room with my brother and be the first one to catch up with him for as far as I can. It’s a long night but who cares?! I have a jetlag anyway.

The following morning we have a nice little breakfast with nice Australian bread. We are picked up by my auntie and niece (who is so nice to hang around with us on her very birthday) and drive to a winery where my aunt brings all her guests.

There’s a magnificent view, a nice selection of wines that can be smelled and tasted (Yeah!) and the weather is very nice considering it’s winter. After the winery we also visit an olive farm and shortly after, drive to Victor Harbour where we lunch in a true Australian diner, beetroot burgers and lotto included.

After a nice Ozzie burger we take a very long walk to and around Granite Island where we can see the most amazing views of the coastline of Australia. I even spot a penguin sitting on a rock on the way back.

On the road back to Adelaide, my aunt Marijke suggests we eat scones at a 450 million year old rock. Wow! And to finish things off in Adelaide we have an Australian Barbie at Marijke’s place. What a magnificent day!

Adelaide is truly stunning!

metroguy says:
I told you before I leave all the writing for you and I do the reading.Daniel,you have nice blog I like the way you write it, theres a sence of humor and sarcatic :-).I enjoy reading it.Anyways with regards to our bread here, hmm...i dont really eat that much bread so I cant compare, I presumed you like bread.Im trying to stay away from carbohydrates,he,he,he...
Posted on: Dec 02, 2008
Granite Island
Note how small the people on top a…
Note how small the people on top …
Penguin!
Penguin!
So small!
So small!
My family, together with Marijke a…
My family, together with Marijke …
16,145 km (10,032 miles) traveled