Is this really a Spanish town?

Vigan Travel Blog

The old town of Vigan is famous of being the only truly Spanish town in all of Asia. And given I have really enjoyed the old colonial town you can find in Mexico, Nicaragua and Bolivia and other places in Latin America. I wanted to go to and see this town for myself and know how it compared with the other old Spanish colonial towns I have been to.

Hence it is about time to get out and explore all those famous cobblestone streets I heard so much about. So I walk out of the old house I stay in to explore the city during daylight. And the street out in front is tarmac road - actually almost all the streets in Vigan is tarmac and only very few got a bit of cobblestones. You will find more cobblestone streets in most European major cities than in Vigan - hence the day started a bit with a negative surprise.

Main square area in Vigan

Walking down the street there are lots of old houses but I don't really think they are in Spanish they look more Asia - hence they are not really reminding me of the colonial cities of Latin America - not that it really matters that much. They got there own style with a lot of Asian influence in the buildings - apparently it is the old iffagou huts which have had a lot of influence on the construction of these houses - maybe this is actually true - but I really don't think of old huts when I see these houses which most of the time is quite big.

The old part of town is not really big so you can comfortably walk through it even during the heat of the day without getting over exerted. Hence I continue down to the main square where the main old building is located including the big cathedral of the town. The main street with most of the interesting houses is also originating from this main square - hence it is the place to go if you are exploring.

Some of the old houses are turned into museums and hotels so you can go in a watch what they look like inside - and I started the day with the breakfast in my own little hotel with the old style interior. And I figure it is about time to go into another of the old houses to see what it look like inside hence I go to an old family museum for one of the important families of the town - with lots of political influence in the old days. The wife used to be a governor of the state and the husband used to be a member of congress until he got kill by assassins - yep it was a dangerous job to be a politician in this part of the world.

Horses waiting for a job
Horses waiting for a job
The only major cobblestone street
The only major cobblestone street
Always these old jeeps around.
Always these old jeeps around.
Vigan Sights & Attractions review
Crisologos Museum
In one of the many old houses in town you find a small museum run by the Crisologos family. The entrance fee is set to zero making it a good opportuni… read entire review
Vigan Sights & Attractions review
Old town Vigan
Vigan is a small old town in the north of the Philippines. It has made its way to the UNESCO world heritage list in 1999 by being the only surviving o… read entire review
Vigan