Of the beaten track again

Kiangan Travel Blog

The war memorial shrice

I am leaving Banaue on the early jeepney to go to Lagawa from where I can catch some sort of ride to the destination for the day. Once again the local transport in this country amazes me. The jeepney leave at the time they claim it is supposed to leave even though it is far from full. But of course we do find some extra passengers as we drive down the road. After a few hours we get to Lagawe where I apparently have to get a tricycle because there are no jeepneys going this time of the day. The ride is not too expensive and I get to Kiangen where the only place to stay is at the hostel in town. I get in there and leave my stuff and then go out to see this town and the rice terraces.

First I walk out to a small museum in town. Which got a bit of a display of things from the area.

Flowers at the war memorial
  At the same place is a memorial for the final surrender of the Japanese during World War II. It was in this mountain area the Japanese had their last stand during the war.

After that it is time to try to find a place to go for lunch in town. Kiangan is a pretty small place hence when I go searching I go along the same roads twice - but finally I do find a place which seems like a good place to go for lunch.  And yes they do serve lunch - with rice of course.

After lunch I want to go to see the rice terraces of the area. I will need a tricycle to go there. And it seems there is a system where I can only go with certain tricycles.

Flowers at the war memorial
But I manage to find one - of course he is not quite ready yet because he is the process of fixing a wheel. But after a bit he is ready to go.

We drive about ten kilometres down the road to get to the Dacaclan Terraces. And I go out and walk a bit through them. But it looks a bit like rain and sure it starts to drip a bit - hence I head back. The terraces are not quite as impressive as the once in Banaue and Malingcong anyway.

I go back and stay at the hostel for a while because it is raining pretty heavily. But it is getting late and just about time to dinner. Fortunately it has stopped raining now. So I go out to look for a place to eat. I wonder down to the market - there is not really anything around here.

The terraces at Nadacdan
Hence I walk up in the central part of town. On the way I meet someone who tells me his kids had seen me earlier this day and wonder why I walk pass their house twice. He had told them I was probably looking for a place to eat which was actually the case. He had also decided he would ask me to join him for a couple of beers if he saw me again - and now he asked me to go to his front porch and have a few beers.

They got a few snacks as well and we sit and have a few beers. Then suddenly a young man comes along talking to my host in the local dialect. Apparently I have gone missing from the hostel and he is the son of the woman in charge and has been sent out to search for the missing foreigner. And sure he found me. Not that it is that hard in this small town.

The woman had been nervous because I had gone out on the streets in the rain and perhaps I had fallen or had gotten lost.

Chickens when leaving
 Well the town is so small that you really can’t get lost in it and the roads are not that slippery by the rain that you are really likely to fall. But it sure is a very hospitable gesture.

Well I guess it is time to leave my companions and go for dinner. I go to a place just across the street and now I am under supervision by the son, daughter and the woman herself to make sure I will not suddenly disappear again. I get my dinner pretty quickly and then I am walk back by the woman and her daughter. I get to the hostel and think that I might have had more use for this kind of services at other occasions in bigger cities where I might actually have gotten myself into some sort of problems - and not here in the tiny town.

Hence I just go back watch the telly and talk to the other two guest at the place.

Bridge across the river in Banaue
Bridge across the river in Banaue
Banaue city
Banaue city
Last look at the rice terraces in …
Last look at the rice terraces in…
Flavour in town
Flavour in town
Kiangan Hostels review
Youth Hostel in Kiangan
You don’t have many places to choose from if you visit Kiangan. You pretty much have to stay at the hostel in town. It is ok it got private rooms as… read entire review
Kiangan Sights & Attractions review
Ifugao Museum and war memorial
In the outskirts of Kiangan you will find a small museum about the ifugao culture and a memorial for the surrender of the Japanese troops during World… read entire review
Kiangan