Where is the tropical depression heading?
Apo Reef Travel Blog› entry 19 of 42 › view all entries
This is a
morning full of doubts - will the boat go to Apo Reef or not? We need to check
the weather forecast to know if the tropical depression is moving towards us or
away from us. Pyh it is moving away towards
We get on the boat - it is not like it is a big boat it is just a small standard bangka with the traditional outriggers. We get onboard and the first 15 minutes is pretty smooth sailing - we are getting some shelter from the land mass behind us. But after that we hit the open sea. And we got the wind from the side. Not being an expert in bangka I did not realize the problem at first - but apparently wind from the side is the worst kind of wind for a bangka.
gets our bangka a bit off balance. Usually the two outriggers will both be in
and out of the water from time to time but on this sail the outrigger in the
leeway side is permanently in the water and the outrigger on the windy side is
out of the water most of the time. I am watching and thinking if this is
actually in accordance with safe travel or not. The crew gets out standing on
the outrigger in the wind side to keep it somewhere close to the water to keep
us from tumbling over. By now we have reached the point of no return - we are
one hour away from
couple of islands are out in the horizon - we made it to Apo Reef safely. Now
we just need to get to the dive site and go diving. We are a bit delayed but
also excited everybody has been waiting for this to happen. One has been
waiting 14 years since he first wanted to go to Apo Reef. The Danish couple
We get ready to go diving. The first dive site is at a wall - well all the dives are pretty much wall dives - and drift dives as well.
visibility is perfect - afterwards we agree on about
After the days diving we head for our over night anchor point which is just behind one of the island in a small lagoon area - not that it really looks like a lagoon - but there is not a lot of wind and waves. It looks like it may rain and we are a bit worried about our sleeping conditions given the fact we will be sleeping at the roof of the bangka. But it turns out they have sort of made arrangement to protect against the rain with a sail on top of us. But in the end there is no rain and the wind fortunately dies down which make it a lot more quite than it would have been with the wind blowing on the cover. There is really not a lot to do at night and it is pretty dark hence we all go to bed early looking forward to the morning dive tomorrow.