Travelling in style

Abra de Ilog Travel Blog

Coast at Abre de Ilog

The boat from North Pandan Island to Sablayn was a bangka - which is a hell of a lot more stable than the flat boat we had taken out to the island. Hence we did not fear our own safety as we sail to the city. Right at the harbour we got our pick up by the minibus. Jordan and I had actually wanted to go with a regular bus but we had been convinced by the Danish couple to go with a deluxe minibus which supposedly would be a lot more comfortable and faster that the regular bus. It is a bit more expensive as well but not too bad.

We got into the minibus and it was pretty full already - but we managed to get our backs on top of the minibus and squeeze in.

Coast at Abre de Ilog
The front seat next to driver is already taken the same goes for the seat just behind the driver. Which mean the big bulky Europeans (and yanks) will have to take the backseats with limited legroom but it works as long as we all can spread out a bit and sit sideways instead of trying to put the legs straight behind the seat. Well we take of through the town - and then we stop to pick up more people - and a couple of roosters.

We start to run out of room in the minibus - but the driver insists on putting more people in the wan. The Danish couple refuse to share the backseat because they can not get there legs behind the seat in front of them - hence they are relocated to the seat behind the driver - and we manage to squeeze in ten in the back of the minibus and two next to the driver with the conductor riding on the roof.

Now we are full and will not stop for anymore passengers - I am sure.

Coast at Abre de Ilog
But a little bit further down the road we meet yet one more passenger - and the driver stops to pick her up. But there is no room and even though the driver looks back towards the back of the minibus nobody is even thinking about trying to get one more on the seat I am on. But the driver do not give up this easily - he talks to one young man and this poor fellow is relegated to rooftop passenger - I guess asking heavy Europeans is kind of out of the question for security reasons - the roof may collapse - or maybe he was just trying to be friendly towards the strangers.

But this only make me think once again over the eternal question. How many people can be on a public transport in the Philippines? I have never really found the correct answer to this question - but it seem like no matter if you are riding a bus, a minibus, a jeepney or a tricycle the answer is always the same. At least one more than is currently onboard the vehicle.

We drive along the road - and I doubt this is more comfortable than the regular bus. But eventually somebody leaves the minibus and we get a bit more room - of course part of these extra spaces is immediately taken by the conductor which is quite all right and a lot more annoying by the two roosters. They are relegated to the backseat - very close to my ear. And rooster should be terminated removed from the face of the earth - I would gladly give up eggs if you killed all the roosters of the world. These vicious animals will not keep quite. They keep making extreme noise inside the minibus as we go along. I can understand part of the attraction of cockfighting - it will kill the rooster - I can not understand the other part of cockfighting - having to live with roosters for a year. I would simply kill the rooster way before this.

We finally arrive at the pier in Abra de Ilog and will have to wait 1½ hour for the ferry to leave. Hence we need to eat a bit before that - which is probably a good idea since nobody has had anything since breakfast.

We get onboard the boat - it actually looks like a ferry contrary to the bangkas they passed along as ferries down to and from Coron. Ok maybe it is still smaller than the ferries I am used to from Denmark taking trains, cars and trucks to and from Germany - but it do have a few cars and buses along with the passengers. We get onboard the ferry to go to Luzon.

tj1777 says:
I think it was about 3 hours in minibus but it could be anything from 2½-3½.
Posted on: Nov 19, 2008
planisphere says:
how long was the trip from sablayan to abra de ilog? :)
Posted on: Nov 19, 2008
tj1777 says:
Could not get out of the bus - I was stuck in my seat.
Posted on: Aug 29, 2008