Last stop in the big town

Baguio Travel Blog

The cathedral in Baguio

Leaving from Vigan I want to go just up in the mountain of the Cordillera region. It is a really short distance from Vigan if you go the way the bird fly. But unfortunately I do not have wing so I need to go where the public transport go. And in this part of the world that’s a very different matter. There is no bus going from Vigan to Sagada or Bontoc up in the mountains – you have to do the brilliant thing go half the way back to Manila to the town of Baguio which is the main jumping of point to all sort of destinations in the Cordilleras.

The trip to Baguio is and easy journey on good roads – unfortunately it takes forever – which amounts to around 6 hours. Hence I get on the early bus from Vigan to get there – and after driving along the coast all morning – you know it is very enjoyable given I have not seen this part of the world in a  very long time – or at least since the day before yesterday when I got up here from Manila. After a few hours we turn inland and get up in the first part of the mountains getting close to Baguio.

Getting of in Baguio I feel the difference from Vigan – it is actually not the usual steaming hot humid air all around.

Lake at the park of Baguio
But a sort of fresh air where you are not sweating when you take a step or two out the door of your hotel. The weather is not at its best but I figure this is my only change ever to go sightseeing in Baguio hence I better get going.

There are several interesting spots around the town I start of in the big cathedral which is close to the place I stay from there I wonder around the town down to the main square around which most of the town spiral off. In general the town is one very big country town the biggest I have been in ever since leaving Puerto Princesa (unless my 10 hours in Manila is counted) and the traffic is pretty intense as well compared to the rest of the places I have been.

One striking thing you notice in the town is all the young college students which give the city a special college feel you only get in college towns around the world. Hence it is sort of a metropolis of the whole of this mountain region even though it is not a really big town.

Inside the cathedral in Baguio